tramadol or meptid...confused

Options
Claire38
Claire38 Member Posts: 42
edited 23. Jun 2013, 12:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been taking Tramadol for about two years now. 200mg modified release twice a day.

Because my pain levels have been really bad just recently (chest, upper back, hip and knee in particular) a GP prescribed me Meptid.

I'm not sure if I should switch to Meptid, take both, or stick with the Tramadol. Perhaps as I've been on the Tramadol for so long it doesn't work so well for me any more. From what I've read it seems like they both act in a similar way, and there doesn't seem much point in changing, when with the Tramadol I only have to take it twice a day, and with the Meptid I'd have to take it 4 times a day. The GP I saw wasn't very helpful, seemed rushed and couldn't answer my questions.

I will make another GP appointment to go through things again, but in the meantime, I was just wondering if any one has any experience with Meptid for enthesopathy joint pain, and costochondritis pain, and if it worked for you. Or if any one has changed from Tramadol to Meptid and noticed any improvement in pain?

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Just a thought, but it might be worth talking to the pharmacist until you can get to the GP?
    Hope things settle down for you.

Deb x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Clare
    Sorry I cant really help but like Debs says I find my chemist brilliant for information, and I recently had one of these appointments with them to review my medication and what an eye opener that was...good luck with all, and I hope you get some relief very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    You could be right about having developed a tolerance to the tramadol??? Maybe that was the thinking behind the prescription, but in your shoes I would definitely start with the pharmacist and if he/she can't help....move on to the Gp (different one though :roll: )

Love

Toni xx
  • Claire38
    Claire38 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Good advice. Thank you. Will definitely speak to a pharmacist