Eureka moment

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 24. Jun 2013, 10:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been searching, literally for years, for a way of getting aerobic exercise but my feet give way before I can walk far enough to get out of breath, we live in a bungalow so no stairs and, although I could walk up to the postbox and back every day, it would take 2-3 trips up the short incline to get me out of breath.

Today I cracked it. The wheelchair's cushion, placed behind my recliner, is just thick enough to provide a decent step and I can hang on to the back of the recliner to safeguard against falling over. I've just done 100 and I'm mildly out of breath. I stopped there because my old TKR found it quite a big step and was starting to not quite make it but, even if it can only manage 100 at a time, I can now do it several times a day. Woo hoo!

I'm now off to do my other exercises and I'll probably do some more step ups at the end of them :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Only 100 :o :shock: I thought you were meant to build these things up gradually! :lol:
    I'm pleased you've found something that works for you. Well done.
    Don't get carried away and overdo it, it might be hard to explain to the medics if you're found collapsed over the back of your recliner! especially if you're wearing your lycra outfit :shock:
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done to you, as usual you have found a way around a problem rather than thinking you won't be able to do summat. Your positive attitude towards not being thwarted sets a good example in how to Live with Arthritis. Congratulations, Sticky! :) DD

PS I think you should invest in some Lycra. :wink:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Well done Sticky. Great idea. 100 does seem a lot to start with. Don't overdo it. What colour is your lycra? :lol:
    Christine
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Well done Sticky
    100!!! I know you don't need telling but be careful...seems a lot. The doc was talking to me about exercise last week and she said don't walk into the pain, walk briskly for a certain length of time {starting off gently} and don't wait until you are in pain...stop before that. Once you open the pain door it is a lot harder to close it.
    I know....I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs :lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I promise you all, you do not want to see me in lycra of any hue :lol: Not that you would as there's no way I'd manage to yank it on.

I won't overdo things. The second session was reduced to 40. There hasn't been a third yet :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Go for it Sticky. Well done, you've got 3 years before the next Olympics!!! Think you are doing brilliantly, but as the others have said, don't overdo it. Shall have to try and think of something I can do, heaven knows what though! Just a thought, we could have our own olympics?

Take care. Beryl xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad you found away to get exercise in to your life. Just don't go over doing it!! It is very easily done (Who me!!) :lol:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Bubbadog, I've had exercise in my life ever since I finally twigged that, without it, I wouldn't have a life. What's new is managing to find a source of aerobic exercise to get my heart and lungs working a bit harder.

Yesterday's second lot of 100 became 40 :oops: but I managed 110 this morning and will see what the afternoon brings.

Beryl, I think we did have an Arthritic Olympics somewhere on Chit Chat this time last year, but I can't remember the title.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Well done you...that is brilliant, and believe me it wont take much to get you fitter...and the best thing is you will feel much better about yourself...and proud...so you should be... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Congratulations on doing a little more today, you set a fine example which I for one cannot be bothered to follow just yet because I am busy running round on Centre Court being Maria Sharapova. :wink: (I've given up running marathons for the next fortnight. :lol: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Well Done Sticky , you put me too shame :oops:
    We have some lycra shorts and leggings out back , i'm sure they would suit you :P

with matching Crop tops :wink:

Fowls xx

Keep up the good work .