Metal on metal replacements

scorpiojackie
scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
edited 19. Aug 2013, 10:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I am eager to hear of anyone's experience with their metal on metal hip replacements/resurfacing. The nhs has been following people with these types for only a couple of years now, due to some of the materials/positioning causing problems by raising the acceptable levels of metal ions in the blood results.

I have had no problems with my resurfacing in the last 5 yrs that I have had it in place. I was happy to be 'buying bone time' by having a resurface over a total hip due to my age. It totally changed my life not to mention pain levels prior to the Op. I loved it & still do.

In this Aprils annual surveillance checks the X-rays of it looked good(good positioning etc) No pains(unless I over do it!) blood tests taken.

The blood tests take weeks to get a result because of the nature of testing, this is normal to these tests.

BUT: This week I have received a letter stating that my blood tests show that my metal ions are raised above acceptable levels. I have to have an ultra scan & MRI of it & then a meeting to discuss the results. To phone if I have any questions... (But they are on holiday... Great!!! Grrr.)

Now I have looked around the Internet for info & have an idea(depending on the actual levels & scan results) of what I may be facing but I am eager to hear from 'real' people's experiences. So If any of you have had similar experiences or knowledge of a friends experiences please take the time to let me know. Thank you for reading, Jac x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jac
    This is so worrying...there have been quite a few on here asking about this, if you look at the top of the forum you can search it..I am due to have my first THR...and the metal on metal was the first thing I asked about..good luck with the search...sorry I forgot to say welcome...
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum
    I've had a THR but it wasn't metal on metal so sorry cant help
    Barbara did you get an answer to your question about it?

Love
    Hileena
  • scorpiojackie
    Thanks Barbara & Hileena for your replies.

Bringing this to the top again, incase it was missed :)

Any info really appreciated.

Jac x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    I don't know what mine are but they've always been OK. If you enter 'metal on metal hip' into the AC search engine a lot of previous stuff comes up. I don't know much about these things but I'd assume that, if yours was just re-surfacing, a new THR would solve the problem.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scorpiojackie
    Yes thanks, checked search engine before posting but old stuff wouldnt contain what I'm looking for.

This is a new & current problem appearing with replaced joints. There is very little proper informative info available anywhere. I guess when it boils down to it we are all guinea pigs for future surgery techniques & materials!

I will continue my search

Jac x
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    Welcome!

I like you have had a metal on metal hip resurface/replacement in 2007, I was told at my 1 year check that everything looks ok on an X-Ray, but as a precaution I have had an X-Ray each year since. I have to my knowledge never had a bloodtest during these visits but I ask for one when I go again in November..

I'll look with interest on any updates from you..