I have been watching my neighbour's son.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Aug 2013, 08:17 in Community Chit-chat archive
And absolutely not in a pervy way. He is seventeen and last Thursday he passed his driving test at the first attempt. He collected his 'new' car yesterday (a smart, 52 reg black Megane) had a party last night (which was why he knocked on my door on Thursday, to both tell and warn me) and then has spent today cleaning his new toy. And when I say 'cleaning' I mean CLEANING.

It was shampooed (then it rained and rinsed it too early) so after the rain stopped he shampooed it again. He then dried and polished it (then it rained again). He dried it again. He then spent ages sitting inside it cleaning the windows, reading the handbook and pressing buttons. This was interspersed with starting it, opening and closing the electric windows and sunroof, then shutting it off, and there was also a great deal of getting in and out. There was also some jangling of car keys (you just have to, don't you?)

He radiated maturity and pride from every pore. I remember getting my first car (I was very much older) and doing much the same sort of thing. I then sat and mused about that wondrous age, when the world is your oyster, you have no fear or worries, the future is clear and untroubled and I felt an enormous pang of envy. That soon passed though and I am going to ask him if he would like to take his pharty old neighbour for a spin round the block. He's a good lad, polite, always says hello to me and 'im indoors, and I hope he would like the chance to show off his new pride and joy. He made my afternoon, it was lovely to see someone being so happy. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Bless him, he sounds so proud of his new car. A young lad I used to work with was always cleaning his car, it's a wonder he didn't wear it out. :)
    You just want to be seen cruising the neighborhood with a young man lol.
    Enjoy your ride.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD I am sure he would love to take his Far** old neighbour for a spin... :D I get the same feeling when watching the young ..and I always tell them to enjoy themselves and make the most of every day... for they will soon be my age... :shock: x
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Oh, seventeen years old. Yes, they were good times. I must admit that I never started to learn to drive till later and I was in my mid twenties when I passed. But do remember the feeling of pride with a new car. I am sure he would be honoured to take you for a spin. And when he does, you enjoy.
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    :roll:

Sounds just like my Charley with hers :roll:

Kids eh? :wink:

I must admit I HAD to read this based on your subject title :lol:

Bless his little cotton socks

love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I was about 30 when I got my first Motability mini and learnt to drive it - in that order - so no polishing for me. With two young boys, I barely polished the house :oops:

I can imagine, though, what the young man is feeling and it's very, very good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    i'm sure your neighbour would take you for a ride you enjoy it.
    when I was 17 I learnt to ride a horse.
    I never had the nerve to try a car I have my scoota.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    We've nicknamed his car 'Paj' meaning 'pride and joy'. Joan, I have never tried riding a horse - I am too scared. :)

Unsure, can you send your girl down to me, please? Daisy needs her water bottle topping up and I can no longer open the bonnet. :oops: DD
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi all
    arr dd i remember this well just a few moons ago :wink:
    spose its same for both women and men.
    1st car i had couldnt wait to get one but diddnt have
    much money and it had to be a bubble car :lol: :oops:
    i can remember trying to polish it but the paintwork was like
    red oxide in undercoat,(didnt mater how much i tryed it wouldnt
    shine for me i think i rubbed so hard it went back to the metal :lol:
    but it was my 1st and i was so proud (when i look back now i think wow
    was that me :oops: you have took me back dd to my youth and my
    1st car abite only 3 wheels :P thanks for that..
    mike26 :oops: :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    A bubble car? Oh Mike, how utterly fabulous. A friend of the family had one of those for years, she picked me up from school one day and I was a one-day wonder for the first and last time in my life. My first car was a four-door convertible - yup, a Citroen 2CV. :wink:

I cannot be taken for a ride round the block - he doesn't have insurance yet. Meanwhile he's happy enough with cleaning, polishing and sitting inside. Bless. I hope he can get that sorted soon but the cost is horrendous. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    An update. I was slumped on the sofa watching Homes Under the Hammer (yup, it's that kinda day) when there came an almighty racket from outside. I thought a steamroller was making its way either up or down the road. I looked out of the window - no steamroller, just the Paj. It's broken, majorly broken. There is much door slamming going on, both with the Paj and the doors in the house next door. He bought it as a private sale so I guess there's no guarantee of any sort.

Poor lad. He's not radiating maturity and pride today. DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    . I hope you are as well as can be and not in too much pain.
    i'm very sorry about your neighbour.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    I love the title to this thread, conjures up so much in the imagination!!! However, my heart goes out to this young man - how absolutly gut wrenching for him.
  • dreamdaisy
    I've been trying to work out what's happened. I suspect his engine might have dropped, or a bearing or somesuch has gone. Something is dragging along under the car but it's not the exhaust. The noise is astonishing, he crawled off up the road earlier, I guess it's gone to a garage. Poor boy. DD