pain in the butt...

Options
Sthiramani
Sthiramani Member Posts: 10
edited 25. Jun 2013, 16:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I'm a 52 year old male recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hip (and same in my hands diagnosed a couple of years ago). There's been a lot of discomfort, and pain when it's bad. I've been prescribed Ibuprofen 400 which I don't think agrees with me, I'll be talking to my doctor about it tomorrow and a possible alternative. Sitting down for more than a few minutes is painful through my right sitting bone... and I seem to be tired more than usual. Can anyone in a similar situation comment on their experience? Thanks :P

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello there and welcome to this forum. I have had a total hip replacement in my left hip and now the right one is on the way out. Yes, I found I got a lot more tired. I think coping with the continual pain has a lot to do with it. Speak with your gp. There are plenty of other pain killers which could help you. Have you been offered anything else. You can have injections, steroid ones which would help with pain. And obviously down the line you will probably be looking at the hip op. If you are offered this, go for it. It's the best thing I did.

Do you have trouble in walking or standing.?? Also if you can get yourself a wheat bag, they are very good for the pain of arthritis. Try one. You can get them on the internet.

And finally, just to say that you have found a wonderful forum with lovely people. If you ever feel you need to let of steam, well you go for it. We have all done it at times, and we all understand.

See you around the forum.
    Karen xx
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi and welcome, sorry you had to find us.

Putting up with the continual pain does tire me out, but I, personally, go through varying degrees of pain ... when I'm really sore I tire easily, at other times I'm not too bad. But I've also found that being tired/lack of sleep diminishes my ability to cope with the soreness ... a bit of a vicious circle really.

With regard to the ibuprofen you could ask your doctor about stomach protectors, like Omneprosol, which quite a number of us take. Are you also taking paracetamol? Or cocodomol? I take my ibuprofen along with cocodomol to manage, with a daily dose of Omneprosol.

Good luck with your GP.

Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi sthiramani and welcome from me, too. You've got some good advice there from the others so I won't duplicate it other than to emphasise that there's more to pain relief than ibuprophen but whichever anti-inflammatories you take, a stomach protecting med is a really good idea.

Exercises to help keep the supporting muscles strong are a good idea as strong muscles equal less pain. (Ask your GP for referral to a physio or look at Arthritis Care's booklet on exercise) Also not sitting for too long helps and ensuring a comfortable seat which supports in the right places.

I wish you a good appointment tomorrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help. I have two sorts of arthritis, one of which is osteo. This began in my right hip in January and, despite being used to pain and discomfort, this was a wowser of a hurt. I remember hanging over the bannister and moo-ing with pain, it was horrible. I'm used to it now, though. I have another arthritis in my sacro-iliac joints, and they are the ones that hurt when sitting (and standing, and lying). I can feel them twanging away right now.

For the OA I take a daily omeprazole first thing, have breakfast and then take a diclofenac. This helps to ease matters. I take four co-codamol per day (30/500 strength) two in the morning and two before going to bed, to help with the pain. That leaves me the option of two more if needed and summat stronger when things are not so good.

It takes time to find what helps as we all vary so much. Please talk to your GP about the various options, he is the one to advise whereas we're the ones to empathise. I wiwsh you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hello and welcome
    This is a great forum I've had a really hellish four years with my conditions and work it it hadn't been for the help,advice and caring of everyone on here I don't think I'd have got through it
    They are a great bunch of buddies
    I hope your appointment with your GP goes well and you get what's best for you and your pain
    It can take a long time to find the correct medication hang in there and don't give up
    Let us know how you get on today
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum
    I have OA in my hips and a few others places so I understand some of what you are going through, the Ibuprofen is hard on the stomach..the ones I take are the same cocodamols...like someone else has said you should be taking a stomach protector...you could get referred to a pain clinic were they can review your meds and change them.
    Has for the pain in the butt,I can only sit for a few mins before having to move, I also think you should ask for an MRI scan to see if the butt pain is coming form elsewhere...
    I do hope you get some help soon.. good Luck at your GPS..and dont forget if you don't ask you might not get...well that is my motto... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum
    I have OA in my lower spine, hips, ankle and neck
    I've had one THR and the other one should have been replaced a few years ago as well but the consultant thought it might be referred pain from my back so off they went on that journey.....one saying it was referred pain from hip to back and the other saying it was referred pain from back to hip :roll:
    I take lansoprozol {stomach protector} first thing in the morning, 2 paracetamol one BP tablet. About 9am I take one naproxen {anti inflamm}
    then its paracetamol for the rest of the day until 9pm when I take another naproxen.....so there are lots of things out there to help. Hope the GP apt goes well. Try heat or cold....with me its heat {wheat bag} that helps
    Let us know how the apt goes
    Love
    Hileena
  • Sthiramani
    Sthiramani Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Many thanks to all those who wrote comments... I'm grateful for your interest and time taken to offer words of support. My visit to the doctor went well, but it took me three attempts before I got the time right. Maybe I was so taken aback with the arthritis diagnosis that I didn't register the appointment time. I have been prescribed Meloxicam instead of Ibuprofen to try to get the pain under control. Otherwise, I felt somewhat relieved following the talk with the doctor - realising I can manage this and learn to live with it. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Sthiramani wrote:
    I felt somewhat relieved following the talk with the doctor - realising I can manage this and learn to live with it. :)

Good :D Yes, you can and we will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright