back pain

Options
lindseyb123
lindseyb123 Member Posts: 9
edited 24. Jun 2013, 07:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
in january 2012 I had a decompresion and spinal fusion on my neck for severe pain, loss of feeling in my hands and limited movement, I have oa, when i woke from the op I had severe pain in my lower back which wasnt there before but i do know I have oa there probebly due to a 30ft fall from a window resulting in 2 fractured vertabra when I was 12.
I saw the consultant 3 months after my neck op and he wanted to wait 3months before he checked it with scans ect as he hoped it would settle down. I have not heard a thing since despite me phoneing and my gp phoning and writing, I am now taking so many pain tablets including oramorpe that I can hardly function, I am now at my whits end and life is not much fun anywhere. I live in a very rural part of wales so have to travel a minamun of 28 miles to see any consultant and spinal treatment is 80 miles away in cardiff so there is no alternative to the consultant I was origanally seen by. I have oa in my hands, knees , elboys and feet and I dont know what to do next about this situation.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You need to see the consultant. This has gone on long enough and your GP isn't doing enough to expedite it. Sometimes we have to be pro-active. I suggest you contact your nearest branch of PALS, the Patients' Advisory and Liaison Service. You can find their telephone/email contact details if you go to the PALS website and look up your nearest branch.

It might be that the back pain is unrelated and/or there is little can be done about it but you need to know the facts.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Lindsey
    You could try ringing appointments to see if they have a record of any appointment for you or ring your consultants secretary and ask if it says in your notes about follow up It may be that's its got lost somewhere along the line
    I've had long standing back pain for 20yrs I also have OA as well as Spondlyo Arthropathy a type of inflammatory/auto immune type of arthritis so all my joints are affected I have my rheumatologist and Orthopaedic Consultant 25 miles away as I used to work there so its a bit of a bind travelling when the pain is bad but as I know they are the best I'm sticking with them
    I can give you no advice regarding your lower back pain the consultant might have wanted to see if it settled down after your neck fusion before doing further investigations
    I hope you get sorted soon
    Maria
  • maria09
    Options
    SW good idea about PALs
    Maria
  • lindseyb123
    lindseyb123 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks people I have spoken to the hospital as has my gp, they say that I am due an appointment but they are suffering long delays but i think a year and 2 months is rediculas, some one I know has just given me the name of an advocate so i may try that. my gp though I may have polymyalgia as well as oa as both my mother and aunt have it but the blood test came back negetive and i think at 56 i may be a bit young.
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    I've just hit 50 and in my experience we are never too young to get these nasty conditions
    I must have miss read your first post I thought it was 3 months not well over a year that is not good news
    Keep fighting your corner
    Hope you get it sorted soon
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello lindsey
    I'm with SW on this one, see if you can contact Pals..a year is far to long to wait.
    If you dont have Pals I would certainly ring them again and make sure you get over to them the amount of pain you are in.
    Sorry I'm not much help but I do wish you well with it all, and please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara