Wedding, now drained!!

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 26. Jun 2013, 10:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to a family members wedding on Saturday, when we got the invitation there was no mention of any possible problems so we assumed everything should be OK and my OH talked me into using my sticks because it was a church wedding and not my wheelchair. So when we got to the village and realised the ushers where directing us into a pub car park I knew there and then I was in trouble! It was a 15 minute walk to the church via the villages main road! Now it wasn't just me who had mobility problems our 93yr old grand mother only had her walker and not her wheelchair!! So by the time we both got to the church we where both suffering!
After the service we had to make the 15min walk back to our car and go on to the wedding dinner at a very swanky hotel which had a gravel car park (a mobility suffers nightmare!) By the time we had got into the hotel my feet & legs where so swollen & in such pain I was on the verge of collapsing and so was nan. So my OH found a couple of chairs and shifted whoever was sitting on them so nan & myself could sit. And next was the blooming photo's and eventually we got moved into the reception room for our sit down meal. I knew I couldn't take my shoe's off otherwise I would never get them on again! We where out for just over 8hrs . We slipped away from the reception before the evening party as my OH could see I was fading and so was nan she fell asleep through the speeches!
Yesterday I was totally drained I couldn't get out of bed till gone 12 noon and after having my meds and some lunch I was back in bed for another hour! This morning I'm still drained and my left knee is twice the size it should be and I can't put any weight on it and my feet well they have ballooned!! I'm sure weddings & Arthritis don't mix well and have learnt a big lesson never listen to your OH! Sorry for going on!!

By the way my OH has brought me a wonderful sorry pressie! A canvas of Jack Nicholson as the joker from Batman! I love how he looks in that film so I'm so excited for it to be delivered!!

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello bubbadog
    I know how you must feel worn out and more.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Dear me what a day you had
    Hope you are resting now and the swelling is going down
    Hope you managed to enjoy some of the wedding
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Aww bubba what an awful shame that no one warned you, then the day could have been so different for you and your nan.
    Some people just don't think, the gravel drive must have been a nightmare..my friend has a short one and that is bad enough ..you keep those feet up till they are well rested..
    How lovely of your husband to buy you the you the canvas...bless him..I hope you feel better soon and your poor Nan xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Oh dear! I've learned over the years, by a process of trial and painful errors such as this one, that one never assumes anything about weddings, christenings, funerals, birthday celebrations etc.

1. I always check out the venue online and, if necessary, ring them up to enquire about facilities, BB parking, any steps, disabled loos etc etc.

2. Mr SW always throws the wheelchair into the car boot even when I insist I won't be using it. I don't have to use it, he argues, but it's there if needed. And sometimes it's needed just as a seat, never mind transportation.

3. Couldn't your husband have dropped off you and the 93 yr old before going to park the car then bring it back for you afterwards? Such things are vital in the wonderful social world of arthritics.

As for your nan falling asleep through the speeches - ah the blessings of old age! One can get away with doing what most of the rest of the world would like to do at wedding speeches. Lucky her!

I hope you'll soon be feeling your normal self again.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Bubbadog, weddings can be tedious enough for most people! I do feel for you and I second SWs sentiments about your nan getting away with falling asleep! :lol:

I am having a 'nothing' day today after a painful weekend in Blackpool - pyjamas and Scooby doo on tv with my daughter...bliss! Take it easy and hope you feel better soon.

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What a shame your week-end was spoiled but I hope you found some bits that were OK. People who are organising things like this don't have to think as we do; like Sticky I check things out, make calls etc and never take any notice of my fit friends who say 'Oh it's only a short walk' or 'There aren't too many steps involved.' What do they know? 'short' and 'not too many' are relative terms very much connected to what one can or cannot do. We went out with friends on Saturday night - they discovered that a restaurant they thought they knew inside-out had a lift. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Bubbadog, I hope things are feeling a bit easier for you now.
    Take care, (((())))
    Numpty
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Well my rest day was shattered yesterday as a Stupid man decided to use an industrial strimmer on his garden just as the kitties where on the window sill trying to catch a blue bottle. As soon as he put it on they bolted and ran straight into the conservatory and bounced off one of the glass windows and Arnie hit our tall glass vase full force smashing it to pieces and shards of glass and chippings flew everywhere. They ran up stairs and hid shaken up so much they jumped at every little sound. It was like they had gone back to how they where when we 1st saw them at the R.S.P.C.A. I checked them both over and thank goodness they where all right. But it ment I had to clean up the vase which consisted of bending down a lot! So today I'm on total rest day as my poor knee is even worse, I've spoken to my Rhummy Nurse who is worried I may have damaged the knee and wants me to see my GP to check it over and maybe get some X-Rays done urgently. So got an emergency( :!: :roll: ) appt for Friday. Till then back on my good friend Oro-morph for the pain!
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Oh Bubba

How awful for you and nan .Had you have known all this before hand you would have enjoyed the day and not have had to spend the next couple of days recupperating .
    Hope you are feeling better soon .

karen xx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Bubbadog
    I am sorry to hear you have been suffering after the wedding and then after the poor cat`s fright! I hope that you get some rest before your appointment and that will help you cope with the journey and wait at the hospital.
    As has already been said, life does change with arthur in tow and we are left to research new venues for potential hazards or problems! Just another joy of arthur!!
    Take care x
    NB