Blackpool and lessons learned

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 24. Jun 2013, 09:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I said in an earlier post that I was going to Blackpool for the weekend with the OH and my children. I was advised to use a wheelchair, but stupidly I ignored that advice (I've never even used my stick in front of my partner so straight into a wheelchair was too big a leap). I did however bring my stick.

So, on Friday we went to the pleasure beach. It was a gloriously hot day, and I even managed to go on some rides (the non jerky ones). I was proud of myself for keeping up with the others as I didn't want to hold everyone back and ruin the kids' break. But then, suddenly...Oh My God. the pain was horrendous. I could barely stand, my feet/ bottoms of heels/ ankles/knees/hips and back literally screamed at me. I felt almost delirious with pain and could barely walk (I had left my stick at the hotel as that morning I had woken with no back pain at all for the first time in months and months).

We went back to the hotel, and I had a hot shower and laid down for a while, and then we went out for dinner (with stick). I could have cried with the pain.

So Saturday and Sunday followed a similar pattern, but this time from the moment I woke up. I had no idea where to get a wheelchair from, so had to suffer the pain and immobility with frequent stops and numerous cups of tea at various cafes.

I did notice that I developed a strange looking rash on my ankle...it looked like hundreds of tiny burst blood vessels...little bright red pin pricks which didn't blanch when pressed. It was very angry looking but settled down when I rested, and then flared up again when walking. Any ideas?

So...all in all it was a valuable lesson, both for me and my partner. Me, because it hit home that I do have some quite severe limitations and that actually I do need to swallow my pride and accept that I need a wheelchair for days out. My partner, because I do hide the pain from him a lot (we don't live together) and he has now seen just how severely I am affected.

xxxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Us knowing our stuff about 'chairs etc is very different to you knowing it too. Like the majority of us (I suspect) you have learned the hard way and now know not what to do. This is, oddly, summat positive. I have no idea what the skin discolouration was.

Depsite the pain etc I hope you were able to enjoy more of the week-end than was nasty, and that you all spent some good quality time together. Both you and your partner are on the arthritis learning curve, this disease challenges everyone within the immediate family, not just the one who has it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi ouchpotato
    What a rotten shame,you had such a good start with the pain and the weather...its quite while now sinse we went to Blackpool we live around 15 miles away...but if you go again... :o ask the hotel to ring for a wheelchair...they all have list of company's that do them..I have now acquired my own chair and have just got use to taking it with me...it makes such a difference...or take crutches I find them much better for leaning on than a walking stick..sorry Im going on here..but you be proud that you gave the kids a good time... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Good afternoon

I went to Blackpool during whitson and I was the same, thought I could keep up and found out the hard way, so know where your coming from.

Its hard when we realise that no we cant do everything like normal and tbh I still think I can lol

Take care of yourself and I hope you did have a good time even through the pain

Take care
    Lily x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It's not all doom and gloom, ouchpotato. You've learned something valuable and most of us only do that the hard way.

As for the 'rash' - my guess is it probably is tiny burst blood vessels which have protested about the strain. I used to get it a lot until my ankles fused. Don't take my word for that, though and see a doc if it gets worse or itches or gives any cause for concern. Rest it as much as you can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    SW, I had burst blood vessels in my face when I had a long hard labour with my daughter's birth, and these look exactly the same. Maybe I need to use it as a marker of when I have done too much!
    Oddly it doesn't all feel doom and gloom. My partner had no idea how bad I was, but he is in no doubt now, and that can only be a good thing. He told me today he was touched that I used my stick in front of him, as I have refused to do so until this weekend. I also realised just how lovely and considerate my children are - my son is 16 and was the perfect gentleman with me...offering me his arm when he could see I was struggling etc. and my daughter (8) rubbing my back whenever we were standing in a queue.

Ah...this whole thing may not be life threatening but it is certainly life changing!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It seems to me that there's quite a lot of good things that have come out of this one bad one. Yes, occasionally arthritis can bring out the best in people. You sound to have some good ones around you and that's very good indeed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright