pain levels up bad bad days

Options
HARPER04
HARPER04 Member Posts: 34
edited 28. Jun 2013, 12:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry this is a moan !
My pain seems to have gone through the roof
I really don't where to put my self it seems to be one thing after another
My mobility is becoming less and less and the amount of pain both during and after exercise has increased
I have had periods of bad pain before but this seems to be a lot worse than at any point in the past
Trouble being my GP is reluctant to increase my pain medication I am already on 130mg of Oxycontin and Oxycondone combined together to make matters worse I am in the middle of a house move from York back to my home city of Bristol
My wife bless her is having to manage all the heavy lifting and packing as well having to act as my carer
I have tried adding paracetamol to the mix but it just seemed to make me feel ill
Sorry to moan but I really am climbing the walls
Thanks for letting me bend your ear
Best wishes to you all

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Moving is stressful enough even without being arthritic. Please try not to overdo the pain relief because it won't make matters any better and may put your liver under un-necessary strain. Pain will always find a way to circumvent even the strongest meds; the drawback with using the stronger ones regularly is that you can run out of options when things are really biting. If exercise is exacerbating matters then ease up for a few days to give the joints etc time to recover. Males feel pain more acutely than females because they have more pain receptors - how's that for cold comfort? :wink:

Distract yourself from the pain as much as possible - the more attention you pay it the more it will hurt. How soon is the move and what benefits do you hope to gain from it? You will get through this bad patch, we always do because nothing lasts for ever. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    I find the only painkiller that's any good is tramadol. It takes the edge off for me.

As for exercise, tai chi is good as its soft and gentle.

Hope everything goes ok for you

Best wishes

Charleeh
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    House moving is stressful, stress makes arthritis worse. Knowing that doesn't help you at all :roll:
    I do hope things ease up for you very soon.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'm with Numpty. Moving house is a very stressful event and stress makes arthritis worse. Unfortunately, moving house also involves a lot of physical stuff too. If you're flaring do ease up on the exercises. Just take each joint through its full range of movement very gently. No weights or heroics :wink:

I agree with DD on the dullers front. If you regularly max out there's nowhere left to go when stuff worsens. I think you can only try to pace things a bit better but that's easier said than done when you're moving house.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • HARPER04
    HARPER04 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Once again I find myself in your debt
    Thank you for your advice each and everyone of you
    As always I will follow your advice
    Does anyone know the reason for flaring that might sound like a stupid question but does it happen because of over exercising sometimes swelling or inflammation happens out of the blue ?

If I don't get back to you straight away its because of the move back to Bristol but once again thank you

Best wishes to you all in the Friendship and Support of the forum
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    An auto-immune arthritis is a force unto itself. We have no control over what it will do to us or when, hence the immuno-suppressing meds. It can, however, ignore those if it wishes. Stress does increase the likelihood of a flare but they can come out of the blue without any cause. Of the two arthritises that I have I much prefer the osteo because that is a true constant. The PsA is deceitful. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'd endorse what DD has written. Stress certainly can cause flares. So can childbirth :roll: I discovered. So can any illness that raises the temperature. The list is endless. Plus it does what it likes when it likes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello!

Sorry you are having difficulties, and a move would certainly send my pain through the roof!

I'm not sure what kind of arthritis you have but mine is seronegative inflamm. arthritis and is especially aggravated by exercise. Since you have to complete your move anything you can do to help stabilize your joints will help, for example wearing wrist supports. Some of the pain after too much exercise comes in the form of muscle spasms. The muscles are working hard to help stabilize a joint and go into spasm to do this. So it might be worthwhile to ask your GP about muscle relaxants, they may help. Also, you might ask about a skin patch or time release tablets to release pain meds more slowly into your system and provide more constant pain relief. This helps with the phenomenon of "wind-up" in pain science jargon. You can google this if you're a geek like me and need more info, but basically once you are feeling severe pain, even if you take adequate meds it takes several hours to get it back under control.

I apologize if this is mentioned elsewhere for you but I haven't read all your posts yet.

Hope that helps,
    Anna