Update on me .

Options
jillyb1
jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
edited 28. Jun 2013, 03:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Visited my rheumy yesterday and as suffering a massive flare up , asked him about surgery . He checked x rays etc and agreed that I need a new knee and 1 or 2 new hips immediately . Good , I thought , referral to orthopaedics ; but not so fast . He wants to leave it another 6 months so I can lose more weight first ! Not happy bunny but I'll do as I'm told at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel now . Many , many thanks to all those who've supported me the last few days ; particularly DD and Sticky ; I'm a very private soul but knowing others are on my side helps enormously .
Jillyb

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh sanguinous hades, you can tell he's not having to live with this, can't you? :roll: I suppose if you put the six months into some sort of context then it takes us back to Christmas (which doesn't seem that long ago) but six months hence seems like an age. (Yup, Christmas again.)

We know - and you know - that you can lose the weight, and I guess there is a reward of some description in the future but I was sincerely hoping that they would take note of NOW - just hang on in there my lovely, you'll get there and we'll be behind you every no-biscuit-or-cream-cake-for-me-thank-you. ((((())))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    We are most definitely and always on your side, jillyb1. I can't speak for others but here's why I am.

Many a person would have seen that as a discouraging appointment and would have come here to complain about the creaking, arthritic mechanisms of the NHS and the inability of medics to comprehend pain. And they would have had a point.

You, however, take the positives out of everything and start heading towards the end of that tunnel.

I hope something has been done to help with the flare. I know you will lose the weight as you 'have form' on this and have proved before that being in a wheelchair does not mean one cannot lose weight.

We are here to help in any way we can. You've only to ask. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm pleased you're able to remain so positive. That is probably one of the hardest things we arthritics have to do. :? Good luck with the diet, I hope the next six months fly by!
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I agree, it's better to see the light at the end of the tunnel and not the 'fog' of the waiting several months 1st. Consultants never make it easy, as others have said they don't suffer with arther so don't know how much suffering can happen over 6months! But eyes on the prize 6months will fly by!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello JillyB1, I send hugs. ((((())))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello again, jilly. I just wanted you to know I've been thinking of you. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Jilly
    Sorry I am late seeing this,gosh what a shock for you, I do think you should be referred right away then at the very least they can get the ball rolling..then you can concentrate on losing some weight... I do wish you well..it must be so daunting but you will get there with us lot behind you xx
    Love
    Barbara