Wobbly legs

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 25. Jun 2013, 08:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
*sigh*...after spending all day recovering yesterday from the Blackpool extravaganza, curled up on the settee with my little one watching Scooby doo, I decided today I needed to venture into town to do some shopping.

Mistake number one: I didn't take my stick as I felt ok (ish) when I left the house.

Mistake number two: Going alone.

It was lovely to be out in the sunshine but after about 10 minutes my legs suddenly turned to jelly, and I had a horrendous ache in my groin on both sides. I cut the trip short as I was afraid I was going to fall and then brain fog set in and I couldn't remember where I had left my car! I went up and down in the lift several times before I found it!

When will I learn? :roll:

Comments

• PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Always have a folding stick in your shopping bag if you feel able to walk a bit without one. That way when your legs give out on you it is there as back up. I do like to try to walk a little way every now and again without my stick, but it's not usually far before my knees or hips start giving way or I stumble. Folding sticks are annoying as they click a lot (well mine do anyway), but they have their uses.
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Yep, time to get a few I think...one for the car, one for my bag, one for the house! It's so odd, because sometimes I feel like I don't need one at all and I feel like a fraud.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have car crutches which stay in there all year round. I also have house crutches and various sticks. I have a walking stick under the bed and one next to my end of the sofa in the sitting room because you just never know when and where these things will be needed. Every handbag is stocked with dullers so when I switch bags I always have my cocos to hand.

My theory is that recovery takes as long as the time that the original 'damage' was caused, so in this case at least three days: first day complete idleness then gently increase the activity level over the next couple of days. It's a steep learning curve but you'll learn what precautions to take (and to never believe your body when it's feeling OK :wink: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    It is hard isn't it :?
    I think we all find it difficult to come to terms with having to use aids.
    I had no problem when I had to start using sticks, I knew I couldn't manage without them, and they enabled me to keep walking. I found it harder to come to terms with having to use elbow crutches, they are so cumbersome and conspicuous, but I got over it, and don't really think about it now. But, I have now reached the point where I sometimes need a wheelchair! :x I have a mobility scooter, and a wheelchair, but am very reluctant to use either. I suppose I'll come to terms with it eventually, but it will take time, and like you, I'll probably suffer unnecessarily in the meantime :lol:
    I hope you get on ok, and come to terms with your stick.
    Take care,
    Numpty