feeling awful!! Had enough!!

Options
Claire38
Claire38 Member Posts: 42
edited 26. Jun 2013, 12:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I've finally had to give in to pain, and feeling so lousy :cry:

I managed half an hour at work today with absolutely no sleep last night because of the pain, and then had to admitted defeat and come home :( I hate having to be off sick!!!

I've been trying to plow on through for weeks now. But a very very busy few days has now taken its toll, and finished me off completely.

The pain in my chest and upper back is unbearable. I can't cope with it any more!! The rest of my joint pain I can cope with, and is helped by the IM steroids, but not the chest/rib and upper back pain. The upper back pain is worse than its ever been before.

Been in bed most of the day, sleeping off and on. I have managed to get up, have some dinner and watch a bit of tennis this evening. Meant to try and make an emergency appointment with the GP when I got home from work, but just felt so bad I couldn't face it, so just stayed in bed. I'll phone them in the morning and make an appointment. I need them to help with the pain. I can't cope with this any longer. My partner and I are off on holiday a week on Sunday, and I need the pain a bitter better controlled in order to try and enjoy this very very much needed break in the sun.

Just soooo fed up with every thing...especially this unrelenting pain :cry::cry:

Sorry for going on and being miserable!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Relentless pain does grind you down. I hope the doc can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I had a really bad flare up (have PsA) over the weekend -could hobble at best and certainly couldn't/ can't drive. Phoned Rheumatology Nurse Helpline yesterday in desperation with the pain. After a chat she booked me in with the Rheumatologist today. Been to see him....steroid injection in the knee, an increase in methotrexate dose given and instructions to rest for at least 1day with my leg up. I guess the moral of this story is ask for help when you need it and it sounds very much that you need it. Good luck and I REALLY hope the pain eases soon.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    What type of Arthritis do you have Claire? Sounds like you're having a very bad time, the rib/chest area pain is always the worst as it restricts breathing correctly causing even more tiredness and as you probably know makes it near impossible to get even close to a decent night's sleep. I hope you can get something sorted before your holiday!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hope you managed to get a GP appointment now, It's a case of rest & pain relief you will have to forget work (as hard as it is to do that) otherwise your holiday will be ruined. The more rest you can give yourself will help you to get stronger.
    You are so amazing to be able to work with Arthritis as many of us have had to give up work. Hope you can feel better in time for your holiday. Take care.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is a s*d isn't it? No matter how hard we try this damnéd disease (in all its forms) will find a way to challenge us beyond belief. I empathise - trying to live with unremitting pain is far from easy and it takes a courage which is, in itself, a huge challenge. I have had to stop work (I was self-employed) and currently feel a huge sense of relief in that that pressure has gone (I am fortunte in that my husband is in full-time work and happy to support me but that doesn't mean I like it. )

Concentrate on the here and now, see your GP, then go on holiday and I hope that, when you get back, things will be better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Sorry you are in so much pain claire its wretched .

Hope you are feeling better soon .Do not forget to phone the doctor .

Fowls xxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hello Claire
    how did the doctors go.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Claire38
    Claire38 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you all!
    As5567 wrote:
    What type of Arthritis do you have Claire?

I have probable PsA (definite psoriatic enthesopathy) which effects most of my enthesis points/joints, and spondylitis.
    dachshund wrote:
    how did the doctors go.

GP suggested stopping the modified release Tramadol for the time being, and go onto "normal" Tramadol so that I get bigger hits through out the day. Which makes sense. Then if/once this bad flare stops go back on to the modified release. She also said to go back on the Nabumatone, even if just temporarily.

I also spoke to the pharmacist when I collected the Tramadol, who was also very helpful, and said I could also add in Codine Phosphate while the pain was so bad, and had some good advice on my other meds. I'll just have to watch for side effects of taking Tramadol and Codine, being light headed, a bit "out of it", and constipation etc. But if it helps with the pain, I'll give any thing a go at the moment.

Feeling a bit better in myself for a couple of days resting.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Aww Claire I am sorry i'm late seeing this...this type of pain is rotten..and I suppose its finding the right mix of meds...I do like talking to my chemist they are always helpful.
    Now you see if you can get some rest and I do hope you feel much better come your holiday....((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara