So today I took a tumble

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 27. Jun 2013, 05:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went into town to get a few things this morning. I took my walking stick with me and was using it when my right side just gave way. I've no idea whether it was my hip, back or knee but they have all been particularly bad this morning since I woke up, and I guess they just had enough. I managed to save myself from face planting the floor, but it was still a tumble and very embarrassing. I'm starting to think I'm not safe to be out on my own!

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear ouchpotato
    Poor you
    Hope you are not too bruised and sore today
    It is embarrassing when you land a*** over t*** as a friend of mine says
    I did it big style down a load of steps in topshop luckily it was quiet and only a sales assistant who rushed over to see I was ok and my daughter saw it thank goodness
    But it does shake you up
    Just rest and put your feet up today
    Maria
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Oh Ouchpotato, sounds like it was a nasty fall, yes you are lucky you didn't face plant but sounds from the pain your suffering the way you did fall was as bad! Hope you feel better soon and I always try and have someone with me when I venture out as have you learned the hard way you never know when you will take a tumble!!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hello Ouchpotato
    I hope you don't hurt too much
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Oh ouchpotato

So sorry to hear this, hopefully you have not did too much damage to yourself, and yes it is so embarrassing, ive did it myself over the past 2 months so know how your feeling

Take care
    Lily x
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've recovered now, at least my pride has :oops: . I have found my balance has been off a lot lately, is this normal? I'm covered in bruises where I walk into door frames, tables, sinks etc. Another bad thing about invisible illness I guess; I'm sure people must think I've had a few too many sherries at lunchtime! :lol:
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Ouchpotato

You sound like me, ive had them funny looks when people think you have had 1 too much lol.

I do believe its just another test for us to go through

Take care
    Lily x
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    ouchpotato wrote:
    I'm covered in bruises where I walk into door frames,

and doesn't that hurt? I regularly do that and because it stops you suddenly it really jolts your back.
    Hope you are ok now.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I hope you're not too sore. It's not a nice feeling, is it?
    Rest up and take it easy.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Hi all, hope it's as sunny with you as it is with me...a bit of sunshine makes all the difference.

I'm fine today thanks, although feeling very wobbly on my legs. Just walked my little girl to school and couldn't wait to get back to the safety of the house (it's only a five minute walk each way) as I just didn't feel steady. I won't be venturing out again today unless my son is with me.

Pollysid, yes it does really hurt! I always seem to hit hip height too (tables, sinks, chairs) and my hip, back and thigh area are so inflamed that it's agony. Add to that, as you say, the pulling up short and subsequent jarring of back and it's a recipe for disaster.

Lily, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Still, at least we are cheap dates...one glass and we'd be falling over all over the place! :lol:

So what does everyone else have planned today?
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Am glad to hear you are feeling a little better today. Do try and have a restful day.

My 'excitement' for the day is as follows:- washing up followed by a couple of chores which keep getting put off, then a coffee break (essential). May then decide to do a little 'pottering' in my garden - it's lovely and sunny here, ouch potato, and long may it last. I have a small portable seat which allows me to dig around in the 2 raised beds. Then its 'Wimbledon time'!! A very good reason/excuse to be lazy. Tomorrow is slightly more exciting as I am meeting 2 friends for chat/coffee, so I need to have easy day today.

What is your excitement for the day prior to collecting your daughter from school?

Take care.

Beryl
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Ooh...let me see. I will attempt to hoover the carpets as my dog is moulting everywhere - this takes several attempts however as it cripples my back. It will be dining room - have a coffee break - living room - have a coffee break - hang out some washing - have a coffee break...somewhere in between that I will put a sausage casserole in the slow cooker as I am usually wiped out by tea time and don't feel like cooking then!

I don't watch the tennis, but I am fully engrossed in watching the series 'dexter' on dvd, which is a welcome accompaniment to my coffee :lol:

Coffee with friends sounds good for tomorrow.

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Take one or even two sticks with you whenever you go out to increase your feeling of security. Once that imporoves you can go back to one (or maybe even none, who knows?) Try not to drag your feet as that makes tripping over uneven paving much easier. Getting through doorways and navigting round furniture takes some planning (it's something that happens in the brain, a learned skill, it's do with kineasthetics) - if joints are painful then you tend to walk rather unevenly, this throws the mental calculations out of kilter and 'bam'. As for the vacuuming, what sort do you have? If it's an upright it may be worth considering getting a cylinder - that is less weight and strain for the back. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben