8 weeks post THR update

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 4. Jul 2013, 15:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I just thought I would give a quick update on my progress.
I am trying to walk with just 1 crutch as advised at my 6 week check and am doing ok, most of the time. If I go outdoors and am going to be on my feet for a long time I take 2 as I find that I am limping with the 1 crutch after a while and this causes my back to play up.
I can walk unaided in the house a little, but still have a bad limp yet so don`t do too much as this again causes me more back pain.
My scar is healed well, but i still have a little swelling in my thigh which increases the more I walk/stand. But this is normal for the first 3-6 months.
I am still sleeping on my back, as side sleeping is not comfortable at all (although back sleeping isn`t either!!) I am a bit nervous of side sleeping yet in case my leg falls forward and risks dislocating.
I have just had my first DLA payment and back pay which will be helpful as my sick pay drops in a couple of weeks.
I have lots to look forward to over the next few weeks with my daughter`s prom next week! and we have booked a short break in Wales in July to celebrate her end of exams etc.. and to make up for our cancelled holiday :roll:
So all in all i think I am doing well. I start physio next week and hope she can help my back problems as it is getting a lot worse now. And I hope to be losing the limp soon!!
Take care all and enjoy the sun 8)
NB

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi NB
    I'm glad alls going well with your new hip
    Long may it continue
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    NB things are going well with your hip, it must be so frustrating having to cope with your back like it is
    ...I do hope the physio can help that back of yours..I think you are wise to use two crutches for the min and keep the pressure of your back
    Its lovely you have a break coming up I am all in favour of having things to look forward to...all I have at the minis my new hip :roll:
    Now you carry on improving...we are suppose to have some good weather in July ...hopefully in time for your hol...and after my hip... :lol: xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This is sounding good, NB, I am pleased that things are progressing so steadily and well. Keep up the good work! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Maria, Barbara and DD
    I have just returned from my trip out with my Mum and my daughter shopping for Prom stuff and lunch. It was nice to get out but the weather spoiled it really! :roll: Wet streets and crutches do not go well together, but I kept upright!! :lol:
    I am resting now with my feet up to try to counteract the swelling I can feel.
    I am planning a quiet day tomorrow ready for the weekend and my physio on Monday.
    Thanks again
    NB xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You're doing all the right things, NB, a rest now and tomorrow is sensible. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It's all sounding good and you sound to be taking things at just the right pace. Steady progress is what's required and you seem to have cracked it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Keep up the good work. You are doing really well. You'll be off you're crutch in no time. xx
    Karen xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good going NB ,slow and steady wins the race. (((()))) Mig
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi NB just checking up on you, I know we PM one another...but its good for you to update like this because it will help others....not that you just have to put the good bits on :) we understand if you want a moan...sure you will get quite a few off me :roll: ...((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I second Barbara - she's a wise one is our lovely Barbara12. DD
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    and thankyou DD, Barbara, Mig, Constable and Sticky
    I have been to physio today, my first post op session. Unfortunately my appointment wasn`t booked for long enough to do much today. The physio spent a long time reassessing me, as I have not seen her for ages. She is going to contact my surgeon to get my MRI reports of my hips/ and spine and see if they have any specific things they want her to concentrate on. She has booked me in for Hydro (Hooray! love it!! :D ) and for another longer appointment next week to discuss some more home exercises.
    She was very helpful re the crutches debate- and said if I am still limping I am not ready to stop using them, and if I limp/lurch using one then I should still use 2. As I have had a hip deformity all my life it will take longer than normal to see a major improvement. Also I have my back issues to contend with.
    I have made a GP appointment to ask about my knee as it is very painful and a bit swollen. I had surgery on this knee 20 years ago to remove a bony spur (from a knee condition I have) and think arthur is starting there now. I told physio about this too.
    I told her about my surgeon advising me to have life time restrictions re 90 degree rule and she siad I should ask about how stable the surgeon feels my hips are (will be overall) and this may affect things like kneeling etc.. for me. She thinks I will need about 3 months of physio initially and thinks I should wait at least this long before thinking about returning to work. I am a little concerned about my future at work, but am not going to worry yet.
    Thanks again for all your support it is much appreciated!
    NB
  • barbara12
    Options
    NB it sounds like you have got a good physio there, they do come up with some good advice, they see so many different people with all sorts of disabilities....I would rather listen to them ..I am rambling here...sorry
    You get the gist... :oops: :lol:
    I am glad they are sending you for Hydro I have never had it but it sounds so good ..so you enjoy and keep us updated..never mind work.. :roll:
    xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi NB
    Sounds like you are doing great. Its still early days so pace yourself & get lots of rest & TLC , its so worth it in the long run. I had the same thing lower back pain & found sleeping on back didnt help, after abou 7 weeks I slept on my side again , it felt really strange to start with, but even being able to change positions helped ease my back, when on my side I slept with a pillow between my knees found that really comfy & my lef didnt slip at all. So glad you are on the road to recovery , just make sure you keep doing your exercises they really do help.
    Take Care x Yvonne