Would love some advice plse

Options
kentishlady
kentishlady Member Posts: 809
edited 26. Jun 2013, 12:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. Hope you are all having as good a day as possible.

Should love the benefit of some wise advice please.

Have just got back from my surgery appointment for routine BP check with the Nurse Practitioner (as she is grandly called). She tells me I need to have BP tablets. She wonders if the problem is being caused by my chronic pain. Has anyone else heard of that being a possibility with BP? Are any of you taking BP tablets? Have got to wear a monitor for 24 hrs (have got appointment for that in 2 weeks), and also have some blood tests and an ECG done. Am now worried sick!

Up until now I have been the only one out of all my friends, most of whom are younger than me, that has not had to take them.

Am beginning to wish I had never gone round there, though realise that isn't being very sensible.

Can anyone help to allay my worries please?

Beryl

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Beryl
    Will try to alleviate some of your worries
    Was a qualified nurse till march this year so not that rusty yet
    Pain is well known for increasing blood pressure it's one sign that can tell us nurses you are in pain
    I think she is just being really thorough and crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's as we say
    I'm surprised she says you need blood pressure tablets before the tests are done or even further blood pressure monitoring but I'm sure she's right (I was an orthopaedic nurse so my medical knowledge won't be as good as hers)
    Did she say to make an appointment to see the Dr or for further blood pressures
    Sometimes they send you home with a blood pressure machine to do it at home where you are more at ease and have not been rushing about getting ready for your appointment
    It is scared but try not to worry too much ( I know easier said than done )
    Worrying will only increase your blood pressure
    If they do find anything they can start treatment straight away and get you back on track
    You can pm me if you like I might not be much use but the offer is there for you
    Keep calm if you can
    Maria
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Beryl

sorry about this .Usually my nurse/doctor tells me to take a couple of deep breaths before taking the blood pressure test as we all get hot and flustered when having appointments .So try not to worry too much as sometimes the machines are not too accurate .

Fowls
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have raised BP thanks to the anti-TNF humira, my husband has raised BP thanks to heriditary factors. To be honest, I don't think twice about taking the tablets (i have two) but he does (with only one) because he's not used to being 'ill'.

Raised BP happens to many people and at least you are aware of it - that is important. It may take some time to find a tablet or tablets that suit you but they are important in helping to ease the strain on the heart etc. Dietary changes may help (e.g. I have never cooked with salt and we don't add salt to meals) but I have no doubt that living with chronic pain will add to the general stresses of life. Don't be scared, hon: it's recognised and steps can be taken to alleviate it. All will be well, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Beryl
    I had high blood pressure every time I went to see the nurse..so they refereed me to the hospital to have a 24 hour monitor fitted ...the results were that I didnt need tablets for the time being...Im not sure if you take antiinflams but I was told these could be the cause..not sure if they can.
    I hope you dont need more meds I know how you feel on that score...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi

As someone who all their life has had low blood pressure I now have high blood pressure, the rheumy nurse has said it might be due to the pain and or the meds, she has to take it 3 times each time as it can be really high(for me). Hopefully its just one of those things that we have to put up with

Take care
    Lily x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello Beryl;

I too have this. My blood pressure goes way up at times and certainly when I'm waiting to see a doctor. The cause was not determined after all the tests I went through, but the doctors thought it was due to vascular inflammation, blood vessel spasms and pain.

There are so many things that can cause BP to go up. Hopefully, you will find out, like me, that it's nothing serious. I do take a medication twice a day and it's really helped keep it under control. Yoga, tai chi or meditation, even if they're not very interesting to you, really do help with stress/worry.

I realized when I was going through all the testing that I really did need to get my anxiety and worrying under control (I'm terrible for worrying). This is the hardest part!! And, I really watch my salt intake. Ready-made meals and canned soups etc have huge amounts as you probably know. It's really easy to consume a large amount and not realize it.

I know it's difficult but try not to worry until you get your results. I worried myself sick (literally) and then found out it was nothing very serious. Treat yourself to something really nice!

Take care, (())

Anna