non stick cookware

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 2. Jul 2013, 13:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
Ops, just posted this in the wrong section so have moved it. Really must clean my reading glasses :roll: .

Have just read a disturbing report on the dangers of using non stick cookware. Have now got to make the decision whether to throw out all of my saucepans and buy stainless steel.

Has anybody else made this decision lately?

Janet xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've reverted to stainless steel because my hard anodised pans were flaking (thanks to Mr DD using the wrong tools) but only because I found a set of Judge pans at a very reasonable price. I don't like the extra weight so much but one cannot have everything. As for the health risks associated with non-stick, I would take 'em with a pinch of salt. If you like your pans (and are using the correct utensils so the surface is not damaged) then carry on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I've always understood non-stick cookware to be dangerous once it starts flaking but non until. I can't lift heavy pans when they're empty :roll: let alone full so I don't have a lot of choice.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello dreamdaisy and stickwicket

It appears it's not the risk of eating any of the flaking non stick coating, but more the fumes it gives off apparently. My sister made me aware of this as her daughters have got young children and the powers to be are now advising pregnant women not to use non stick cookware or even buy a new car whilst pregnant. It's a wonder I've got to the age I have :lol: without crumbling into a heap on the pavement :lol: . The report even recommends not keeping a caged bird in the kitchen in case it falls off its perch :roll: .

Janet xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    The report even recommends not keeping a caged bird in the kitchen in case it falls off its perch :roll: .Janet xx

:o Into the non-stick pan, presumably :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I've used stainless steel pans for several years now. They are more expensive, but they last well. I had trouble finding a frying pan that wasn't non-stick :? finally found one in Woolworths. I do miss that shop :lol:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Doesn't matter what sort of pan my oh uses it all sticks ! Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It's a bloke thing, mig. Mine manages to stick it to the oven and walls too. Have they invented non-stick walls yet?
    Steven Wright
  • johnsouthwales
    johnsouthwales Member Posts: 58
    Options
    there's me thinking i thought i was the only one with the flaking problem.
    i never seen it happen much before until the last couple of years after getting a new set to replace the old.
    The ones before in the past were tefal and were ok and always with them since the 90s. even the wok pan looks rough now, but i think that was due to using metal utensil scraping it causing the flaking
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Fumes? Wasn't there another scare earlier this year about the fumes given off by food being barbecued? Shrug of the shoulders and pinches of salt all round, methinks.

Wasn't the non-stick surface an accidental discovery during the course of the space race? In my experience all non-stick eventually unsticks, at least with the stainless steel that won't happen. He has two stainless woks which are never used, I might chuck 'em out so that gives a litle more storage space in our overcrowded cupboard. DD

PS Hello johnsouthwales, welcome to the forum.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • johnsouthwales
    johnsouthwales Member Posts: 58
    Options
    hi... i heard that as well teflon was invented as an off shoot from nasa, but it was invented years before that.
    Saying that, i have a teflon pan from the mid 70s and nowt wrong with it that's been used more than all the tefals put together and still use it too.