No more surgery options for a long time

Options
righthandman
righthandman Member Posts: 38
edited 3. Jul 2013, 03:29 in Say Hello Archive
Saw Mr Packer today, the chap who did all four procedures on my hand in the last three years. The most recent procedure was a mcp {forefinger knuckle joint} arthroscopy back in May. The results were lots of lose cartilage cleared out and end stage level 4 {severe}deterioration to cartilage. Since I had the thumb fused and the Brunelli procedure two years ago, my forefinger started to swell up, change shape and become very sore. It is now the size of a walnut. I am convinced it is linked to these procedures. It is a gutter because I am in so much discomfort despite all these procedures. In a way I wish I never had any surgery, because despite being in pain I would have still been able to bend my thumb which is obviously not possible now.
All he could offer was a joint replacement that would last around 8-10 years or cut the nerves to the joint. I have decided against any more procedures at all. At 36, I cant keep chopping my hand about.
It will now be official grin and bear it time.
Will let you know about what to expect each procedure to entail shortly.
I take strength from all fellow sufferers of this cruel, pathetic, disgusting condition.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, righthandman. I'm sorry you still have problems post-surgery. I've never hand any hand surgery (and it shows :lol: ) but I think it is more complex and intricate than the larger hip and knee joints so probably more knock-on effects. A wise decision to call it a day for a while at least.

(I think you might have posted this on the wrong forum. Wouldn't LWA be more appropriate and attract more viewers?)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I remember you from before, righthandman, and I am sorry that things have not turned out as you had hoped. To me that sounds about par for the course for arthritis, it is a progressive and degenerative disease, the ops that I have had have not held back its curséd tide and neither have the meds. I'm now waiting for new knees but that won't sort out the other hurty bits. I feel it's a lose-lose situation for the majority of us. It's a s*d, isn't it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi again
    I think you have made the right decision your hands are one of the most used parts of your body
    After reading your past posts I've decided to leave my hands well alone and also grin and bear it
    I was thinking of getting referred as mine are painful,swollen and wonky but you help me change my mind
    Thank you
    Maria
  • righthandman
    righthandman Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Glad it made you change your mind Maria.
    I would definitely not opted for surgery had I known I would be in as much discomfort two years on. Obviously we are all different, and the condition affects us in different ways but the hand with all its complex tendons and ligaments is like a finely strung harp; if you tamper with some of the strings, it affects the function of the others. Unless you are in extreme pain I would recommend leaving surgery alone.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I'm definitely leaving well alone
    It's painful, uncomfortable and annoying but not worth risking it
    Maria