Thumb fusion- what to expect

Options
righthandman
righthandman Member Posts: 38
edited 4. Jul 2013, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all.
Thought I would post on here on some of the procedures that I have had done on my right hand within the last three years to inform potential "customers" what to expect! Starting with right metacarpophalangeal (mcp) joint at base of thumb.
Symptoms pre-op: enlarged joint, hypermobile, clicking and constant deep sore pain exacerbated by cold weather, dampness and vibration. One could pull ones thumb joint apart such was the movement within the joint.
Fusion involves removal of remaining joint cartilage, and bone ends fused together with a titanium plate screwing both bone ends together. Plate can sometimes work lose over time and can be removed. One is left with a 2 inch s- shape incision scar over the former joint area. Op takes an hour or so under general. Mine was an overnight stay.
Thumb was kept in a plaster for a week and then set in a softer cast for another week. Fusion of the bone ends together takes between three to six months.
Glad to say recovery and fusion was quick for me. I was using my hand for most tasks within six weeks and was not in a great deal of pain whilst fusing. Expect soreness and tenderness during recovery. I was back at work within two months.
Post op symptoms are complete absence of the deep sore throbbing pain that was in my old joint along with the clicking and crunching. Thumb joint restored to normal size rather than looking like a bell.Thumb approx 3mm shorter than before the op.
Obviously one cannot bend the joint anymore it is fused at approximately 35 degrees. It affected my grip much less than I thought. I can do everything I used to before but my grip is not as tight as it was before. The lower quarter of my thumb feels solid and bony and I have noticed a bony node starting to form at the base probably where the hand is adjusting but it is not painful. I do miss the movement and grip strength but I certainly do not miss all the former pain and discomfort.
Hope this helps..

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's very good information, thank you. I'm glad you had such good pain relief and the procedure went so smoothly for you.

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Thank you very much for this - very useful. I have OA in my hands and have just had my third steroid injection into the basal joint of my left hand. It seemed to ease things for a few days afterwards - apart from a spectacular bruise - but now, a week later, it's beginning to hurt slightly again. I've also got trigger thumb - the same one - and the doctor is going to inject into the top joint in a couple of weeks. I know that, at the moment, my thumb joint isn't as bad as yours, but it's good to know what options might be available in the future. I really enjoy knitting and crochet and just want to be able to continue in comfort.

Thanks again.
    Meg
  • righthandman
    righthandman Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have OA in your hands, Meg.
    I had a couple of steroid injections in my thumb before the fusion. Pain was knumbed by around half for three weeks and then returned as normal.
    If you do ever have a thumb fusion, I would doubt it would affect your ability to knit. I would however put it off for as long as poss. Wish I had left mine for longer before opting for Surgery.
    Good luck,
    Ralph.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello righthandman
    Thanks for this...I have OA and due to have my first hip replaces next week...then the second later on....but I have OA in my hands the left being the worse...I have had tow lots of injections now and the last time he mention surgery on the thumb..so to read your thread is really helpful, and I do wish you well in your recovery..
    Love
    Barbara