106 year old Alice Horne - an inspiration. A remarkable lady

Options
elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 4. Jul 2013, 12:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Mods- I could not find a link for this. Are you able to do so?

Well worth a read:

Arthritis Care: Congratulations to Alice Horne at 106 our former Chair and still a member of Arthritis Care’s Hyndburn branch has been made a Freeman of the Borough of Hyndburn.
Here is her story;

Born in Scotland Helen Alice Horne (who prefers to be known as Alice Horne) was one of eight children. She came to England in her twenties to act as Nanny to a baby who she cared for for four years. Alice has continued to live in England and is in touch with her remaining sibling, a brother in his seventies who has remained living in Scotland.

Alice has led a remarkable life having cheated death on several occasions. In 2005 she was attacked by intruders who attempted to steal from her home.

As a child she contracted polio and during the Second World War she was buried under the rubble of a matchstick factory after the German blitz on Liverpool.

At the age of 50 a car accident left her confined to a wheelchair but the plucky pensioner
continued working for charity and playing sports.

After learning to swim at the age of 70 she became involved with the Disabled Association for Sport in Hyndburn taking part in javelin, bowling and darts events and in 1986 she was named Britain’s most active pensioner.

Whilst in her 80's Alice tied at first place for Pensioner of the Year and went to London to receive her prize. Whilst there she met several well known people including Sir Patrick Moore and Sir John Mills.

When she was 100 years old Alice was made Freeman of the Borough of Hyndburn.

During her lifetime Alice has met several members of the Royal Family including the Queen and Princess Margaret when they were children and in later years the Princess Royal, Princess Anne on more than one occasion.

Alice has supported charities throughout her life and has been a member of Hyndburn Arthritis Care Branch for many years. She had a toy poodle called Vanessa who lived to be 19 years old and who assisted Alice with collections having her own collection box which often received more donations than Alice.

Alice continues to live at her home where she has resided for 56 years. She is supported by carers and very good friends such as the Chair of Arthritis Care Hyndburn Branch, Irene Barnes, who she has known for 30 – 40 years and who has also been made Freeman of the Borough of Hyndburn.

Alice's nephew and his wife visit Alice very regularly taking her out to places such as Garden Centres and Oswaldtwistle Mills. However, Alice's favourite place to visit is Asda. When she was 100years old Asda paid for all the drinks for a party the Council held for Alice.

Alice is a very well-known and much loved member of her local community. Her friend Irene believes a positive attitude is the key to Alice's good health. She describes Alice as “a positive lady who never says anything negative and who has always been fit”.

Irene continues “Alice is an extremely determined person who never let her disability hold her back. I do look up to her and hope I am that fit when I'm her age.
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks Elna
    What an inspiration the lady is...I have read it twice....people from that era were and are so tough :D ...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wow! I love the fact that her favourite trip out is to Asda - go Alice! I think they did build 'em tougher in the old days - Alice is the generation before my Ma and Pa but daliy life back in the early twentieth century is inconceivable to us 'softies' of today, with our central heating, indoor bathrooms, hot water on demand, lighting, telly, radio, computers and labour-saving devices.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Elna, when I'm feeling feeble I will think of Alice and sort myself out. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Totally agree, Barbara and DD. When I am having a not so good day I too shall think of Alice and her positive attitude.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    What a genuinely inspiring story! Go, Alice, you show the rest of us how it's done. :wink: