Pain suddenly worse

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 7. Jul 2013, 05:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
I've had a lot of stress recently and long car journies to travel.
I had to travel a total of around 6 hrs in the car on Sunday, 3hrs with 3hrs break to visit my niece and 3 hrs home. My husband did the driving.

That night as soon as I tried to lie down, I had a deep and strong ache in my groin top of thigh area (I have OA in the hip) and couldn't sleep very well. Since then the pain is sometimes terrible and I literally have a job to walk to just a deep ache and restricted movement in my leg with the ache going down to my thigh and the bottom of my spine hurting, but that isn't new its been getting worse recently.

I had an MRI on my whole spine last week, ordered by the rheummy, who I don't see again until xmas. I have made an appointment with my GP for Monday to see if she knows the result and to discuss why I'm in so much more pain. I have Fibro and OA in quite a few of my joints. I've also had a mild fever at times this week and aching in all my joints. My hip feels like its stretched something. I don't know if my hip could get so much worse so quickly or maybe I've had a bug.
Sorry, I'm moaning on again, but I'm worried about it. I can't do much and things are not getting done. My husband says don't worry, but I hate seeing things that need doing not being done.#
Love Sue

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue sorry to hear your having pain problems with that hip of yours, I have OA in the neck and knees and sometimes at night it can be really painful so I empathise with you there, now can you tell me do pain med's help when its active?.
  • woodbon
    Options
    No, they don't seem to make a lot of difference. I take tramadol sr and paracetamol when its really bad, but neither seem to do much when I'm in a lot of pain. I can't take anything that irritates my digestion as I had peritonitis years ago and still take zantac for that.

I'm trying to just do things slowly and take my time with rests, but I can't get comfortable resting! Sorry to moan on. :x
    Love Sue
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You've had a very busy time with all that travelling - it always surprises me that how sitting for so long can cause trouble. Maybe in future it might be worth 'pre-loading' with some dullers so the pain doesn't get a hold in quite the same way. I have a two-hour journey tomorrow night (he'll be driving) so I shall coco about an hour beforehand to help matters.

I hope that taking things a little easier for the next few days will help - are you able to get in and out of the bath? A good soak may help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    Options
    I hope you don't have too much pain from your journey.

I hate sitting, we've tried stopping for a break and its nice to get out and stretch, the only problem with my recent journeys is that I am on a tight schedule as I am visiting my niece who is very disabled physically but menally fine. I am her attorney as I am her closest relitive, shes' lot both perants, my lovely brother being her Dad. and have to go through lots of papers with her, but she can only concentrate for a few hours as she gets too tired.

I suppose it dosn't help as I always dread having to go through things with her that upset her. (She's been abused mentally by her husband and is divorcing him). So we are all up-tight. I suppose that makes me tense and that dosn't help the pain.

Just hope it is soon sorted out.
    Love Sue

Maybe a bottle of gin might help!!! :shock:
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Oh Sue
    What a nasty time your poor niece
    Hope it gets sorted soon
    Mmm bottle of gin sounds good
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sue I really do feel for you I have OA in both hips and my back...I had MRIs like you and they said maybe most of the pain is coming from the back..until my last appointment and a lovely polish consultant that was standing in said you have such chronic OA in both hips its cant be helping the back...so next Weds I have my first THR
    I would advice anyone not to leave it...please get it seen to and ask all the questions about if you should have a THR...it doesn't get any better.
    I do hope you can get some relief very soon painkillers didnt work for me...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I'm so sorry you're in so much pain...I couldn't do that length of a journey without stops....probably 3 :o
    Is it not possible to find somewhere to "stay over" for the night so you didn't have to do 2 journeys in one day? :?:
    I don't know much about fibro...sorry
    Dose up with meds before you leave and before coming back is the only suggestion.
    I was at the pain clinic last week and he is doing MORE injections in my back {facet joint} and if these don't work is getting in touch with the consultant who did my first THR to advise that the 2nd one be done.
    I had the first one done about 4 years ago, 2 one was due to be done about 4 month later but then {like Barbara} they decided it was my back and bang went that op :roll:
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Hi Sue

First thing that comes to my mind is when did they last Xray your actual hip??? Has it deteriorated maybe?? the groin pain is one a lot complain of with hip issues :(

Sue I am glad to hear how your niece is doing I was wondering - I remember who close you two are. Easy for me to say, but try not to stress too much you know it doesn't help.

Good luck at the docs tomorrow.

Love and (())

toni xx
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    It probably is just the car journey that did it, it may have just been sitting, but I find car seats are rarely the right size and position for comfort for people who have joint or muscle problems. The seem to press in the wrong place, and stop you from getting the legs comfortable etc. Even when you don't feel pain sitting, everything has stiffened up by the time you get to move again. Hopefully the extra pain will wear off quickly for you. Maybe anti-inflammatories would help more than tramadol or cocodamol - I find I get more relief from this sort of pain from naproxen, diclofenac or ibuprofen (just one, not all of them! lol)

I'm in a lot of pain today too, the heat isn't helping, but I got dragged around London yesterday unsuccessfully looking for an outfit for my daughter's wedding. Strangely the only part of me that doesn't hurt is the replaced knees, my feet, calves, hips (especially hips), shoulders are all agony.