Methotrexate..........advice???

Options
gemmarh100
gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
edited 5. Jul 2013, 18:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Been to see my Rheumy today and he gonna start me on Methotrexate 7.5 to start, then increasing dose. I think it's a good thing and am trying to be positive...but the list of side effects are scaring me a little...??..... :?:

I have already had to go part-time in my job as a nursery assistant....but I'm scared of needing loadsa time off from feeling rubbish.... :(

Just asking if anyone can share their stories of taking Methotrexate (I know we are all different, but info and opinions help) How long did it take to see any difference?? My Rheumy said 3-6 months!!!!! Shocking if that's true!!!! :shock:

Gem xxxx

Comments

• Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've literally just posted about MTX!

The first times I was on it, it was brilliant. The sickness wasnt to bad and 7.5mg is the lowest dose. It's definitely worth a try IMO.

I've had it frequently over the past 15 years and the side effects have now become to much for me. I don't think I can continue the treatment.

Exercise really helps with side effects, I used to take my tabs then 20 mins later I would go walking on the running maching for as long as possible or go swimming.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take injected meth and have very few troubles with it. Once in a blue moon I get very tired two days after the jab and my eyelashes are not as full but that's it. I started with the tablets and again had little trouble until I developed a rash on my forearms.

Listed side-effects are not a guarantee that they will occur. As for feeling any difference, well, my bloods are lovely thanks to it and the humira, end of. I hope it proves to be the one for you and please be conscientious about the blood tests, they are important. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gemmarh100
    gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hiya, I just posted on your post, too Sezeelson, :lol:

Thanx for the advice about the excercise, will defo give that one a go....how long did your symptoms last? I know we are all different, but....

I definately am taking this all seriously.....my dad didn't :roll: and docs say he will be in a wheelchair by the end of the year (he has OA, Spondylosis and Osteoperosis) I want to make sure I'm doing all the right things so any info/advice/help/support would be appeciated guys. Thanx for posting, hope you've all had a good day :) Gem xxx
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Options
    From my thread
    gemmarh100 wrote:
    Hi, I am due to start Methotrexate, starting with 7.5mg and then increasing dose....but this post made me stop in my tracks!!! :shock: I know everybody is different but your symptoms do seem severe....or is this normal?? :?: Which is worse for you (symptom-wise)? Tabs or injection? I'm trying to get all the information I can before I start it, but it really does scare me wuite a lot, to think I could be ill for almost all of the time....

I know it's hard but I live by the moto that positivity is always the roue to getting what you want/need from life :)

Gem xxx

Yes my symptoms are severe, as I said above, I hardly had any symptoms when I very first started MTX. Even at the higher doses :) it was worst at first but after 3 or 4 weeks I was starting to feel loads better!

The injection is best IMO in regards to the symptoms. You inject a very small amount of liquid so it's quick, easy and pain free! It definitely doesn't make you feel as sick as the tablet form.

I know it is scary but the only way to find out is to give it a try and keep positive. If the symptoms of the MTX are to much for you, at least you can say your tried it and rule it out of future treatment. From my own experiences, as bad as they have become, I would definitely recommend you giving it a go as it can be brilliant (which is why I agreed to try again). I was told I would be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 20, I'm now 21 and walking without support on a daily basis with no problems thanks to this stuff! got me through my worst times without doubt :)
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I've have been on oral mtx since 07/08 for PsA & Psoriasis. My usual dose was 20mg with an increase to 25mg to try & control my skin. As that has become harder to do I was finally put up to 30mg at the beginning of April this year.

I've never had any side effects from mtx, I've been extremely lucky. Unfortunately, after much back & forth between my consultants & GP this week, I have been taken off of it :( My immune system needs to build back up as I've had a constant chest infection since April :? I'm really gutted. My skin has finally become flat for the first time in 18 yrs, I have severe, chronic plaque psoriasis. My PsA will now be under review to see if it's under control, my bloods are suggesting it isn't tho :?

It has been a marvel for me but as I now have pneumonia it wasn't practical to leave me on it a day longer. If I'm offered it in the future I will take it.

I can't stress enough how important the blood tests are. They not only make sure that ure body is coping with the mtx & an eye on ure inflammatory markers etc It's the close watch on ure full blood count, white cell count especially for me over these past few months, that has enabled me to stay on a good treatment as long as possible but also to get taken off it b4 I get any worse. From wot I've learned on here mtx is usually withdrawn an awful lot sooner in most cases.

I'd definitely say you won't know unless you try & you may not get any side effects at all :)

Good luck.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I have been on meth now for about 3 months (Have taken it at other times also)

At first, yes It did used to make me feel a bit yuck and horrible for a day or so but that soon went. Now that things have settled down I take it without any side effects. As for the meth working, I cant help on that as my meth is taken with another drug.
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I had been taking for Meth for a few years, first tablets and then injections, the injections worked far better than the tablets did.

I always did the Meth injections at night just before I went to bed, the reason for this is that I would always feel very tired after taking the Meth.

I used to take a folic acid the day after, I am now taking folic acid every day and this has really helped to reduce the side effects.

Overall Meth did a lot for me and I am glad I am going back on the Meth in the next couple of weeks.

It did take a couple of months for the injections to start working.
  • mazbaz
    mazbaz Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hello ,

Ive been on mtx since Dec 2012 , started on 4 tablets of 2.5mg and now on 10 tablets per week! I also take Plaquenil.
    Ive never had any side effects from the mtx , never felt sick or anything. I did once get a skin rash up my forearms but it was gone in a week and its never come back so am not even sure what caused it.

It does take a few months to build up in your system so try to be patient, I definatley have had a gradual but slow general improvement in how I'm feeling and ATM I'm feeling pretty ok most days :D

Very important like the others have said to always have your b/tests.

I hope it works for you and best wishes.

xx
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Member Posts: 28
    Options
    I suffered badly with nausea & headaches on the tablets (20mg) and eventually went on to injections which also allowed me to lower the dose to 15mg, this helped with the headaches & also the nausea to some extent. I'm pretty much useless the next day but I've tried to rearrange my life around it & don't plan much for that day! On my last visit to the Rheumy I persuaded him to cut the meth from 15mg to 7.5mg this has helped hugely with the side effects but I'm beginning to get stiffness & sore joints back again after only 8 weeks - I'm now going to docs on Monday to get it upped again! As always it's a balancing act between the symptoms & the meds but I'd give the meds a chance every time!

Purple
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I've been taking mtx tablets for 6 months (PsA). Side effects have been bothersome but so far not serious. Nausea, headache, cough, fatigue for 24 hrs. Really bad when I first started but I got used to it after about 3 wks. I take it at night so sleep through some of the worst. Like others, I take folic acid (2mg)/day the rest of the week and plan for a rest day the after mtx day. I drink tons of water the day I take it and the day after and that has really helped. Now side effects are like a hangover; my very own mtx hangover without the party!

The chance of having it work is worth it IMO, and, though it hasn't lived up to my expectations, it has taken the edge off the worst of my flares which is a definite improvement. I just would like to reduce the pain meds which hasn't happened yet. I would say it has given me 20% improvement in pain, 0% in fatigue.

I think it would be working better for me if I had started it two years ago. So, best not to wait!! It will at least preserve your function even if it doesn't completely deal with pain.

Hope that helps,
    best wishes, Anna