5th course of MTX side effects.

Options
Sezeelson
Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
edited 5. Jul 2013, 04:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since about 6, I've had MTX by syrup, tablet and injection form at various points of my life (21 now).

My last dose was 25mg by injection. The side effects where horrific, I was bed ridden 5 days a week with severe nausea, throwing up and diareah. I couldn't eat, by the 6th or 7th day I was binge eating until I was sick. My body felt like it was shutting down although blood tests where taken twice a week.

This is the worst the side effects had ever been, with each course of treatment my side effects worsened and worsened. They cut my dose down before I just had to quite taking it, the side effects where just to much.

Few years on, I'm now on a 7.5g a week in tablets. I've got the nausea, sickness and diareah back, I've got sweats and a disgusting taste in the back the back of my mouth & my skin feels disgusting which is driving me crazy!! I'm also on Celebrex and restarting Enbrel ASAP.

Should I just give up on the MTX? I think my body has learnt to 'reject' it which is why the side effects have gotten worse and worse even on a low dose.

Comments

• gemmarh100
    gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I am due to start Methotrexate, starting with 7.5mg and then increasing dose....but this post made me stop in my tracks!!! :shock: I know everybody is different but your symptoms do seem severe....or is this normal?? :?: Which is worse for you (symptom-wise)? Tabs or injection? I'm trying to get all the information I can before I start it, but it really does scare me wuite a lot, to think I could be ill for almost all of the time....

I know it's hard but I live by the moto that positivity is always the roue to getting what you want/need from life :)

Gem xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are for sure having a rough time with the meth, I am so sorry. If you are struggling so badly at such a low dose then I think this is a question for your rheumatologist, not us. You have been taking this for a good few years now (as have others on here) but this degree of reaction does seem extreme. Please contact your unit ASAP and I hope they will be able to help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi Sezeelson,

I completely agree with DD!!

Ure symptoms sound horrendous :( Ure on the big guns already so I'd definitely be querying whether mtx is worth ruining ure quality of life over?! I'm sure you already know wot ure answer would be if asked.

Please follow DD's advice & contact ure team b4 the week end.

Take care.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • catt
    catt Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Sezeelson it sounds as if you are having an awful time with the methotrexate, it doesn't suit everyone.
    Maybe your 'team' can find a combination that suits you as we are all different and have individual needs.
    I sympathise with you, it is disheartening and can make you feel wretched, no one deserves this miserable condition.
    Nothing lasts forever you will feel better, there are other treatments unfortunately these things take time.
    Think of yourself as one of the beautiful sweet natured people and try to rest while your body adjusts to the different medications
    I wish you well catt :)
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    What an awful time you have had with methotrexate I think the sooner you are off it the better
    Please do take the others advice and get in contact with your unit
    I'm one of the lucky ones who suffers no side effects of it
    I wish you well
    Let us know how you get on
    Maria
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Sounds like it's not the drug for you, if I was in your shoes I'd be calling my rhumey team like dd suggested and getting advice asap.