Know your medications

Options
maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
edited 10. Jul 2013, 12:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I know I'm talking to the converted but just want to get my pet hate out of the way
Know your medication what it is used for and why you take it
Be aware of the side effects by reading the patient information leaflet
If you suffer from severe side effects contact your GP
Check the sell by date do not use any out of date medications
Dispose of them by taking them back to your pharmacy
Rotate your stock of meds ensuring the newest ones are at the back
Store in a safe place away from pets and children
Ok lecture over
Maria

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hate to say it but I'm a swot when it comes to knowing my medication! I know how much to take, when and the side effects! I don't need to look at the boxes when taking them. I go into auto-pilot when it's time to take them.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I have a list of my meds on our pegboard with all the relevant details as I have had to write it out so many times. Now I take the list with me when I go to see a consultant, dentist, physio or anyone where they may ask. It makes it so much easier when you take quite a few daily ;)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Yep all present and correct :wink:

I have to kids who have taken essential medication for longer than me so am well-used to knowing what needs to be known.

Maria - not a bad reminder though

thanks

Toni xxx
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks for that reminder, I was shocked to fine how many out of date pain killers I have actually got. I feel guilty for wasting them but I never know when I'm going to need a supply of pain killers. From now on I will remember to put my newer ones towards the back to keep stuff from going bad
  • maria09
    Options
    Your welcome AS
    It comes from many years of having to stock the drugs cupboards at work I always seemed to get the job as the drug box was always left till last and as I worked most weekends I used to check everything was in date
    Also stems from getting history from patients regarding their medications when getting admitted "well I take a little blue one on a morning" when asked what it's for "I don't know the doctor gave me it" used to drive me insane there are many little blues out there and I was supposed to know which!
    I've made sure my dad knows what tablets he takes and why plus the side effects & same for all my mums as dads her career
    So when asked by a nurse he will never say " a little blue one"
    Maria
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    Also stems from getting history from patients regarding their medications when getting admitted "well I take a little blue one on a morning" when asked what it's for "I don't know the doctor gave me it" used to drive me insane there are many little blues out there and I was supposed to know which!
    I've made sure my dad knows what tablets he takes and why plus the side effects & same for all my mums as dads her career
    So when asked by a nurse he will never say " a little blue one"
    Maria

I had to laugh at this. My late father-in-law was actually asked by a nurse doing the drugs trolley "Which pills do you take? Is it the little blue ones or the little red ones?" He was on the ball and knew exactly what he should have as he was aware that, when I was on Penicillamine, I had, on more than one occasion, being given Penicillin while in hospital and had had to query it and have it changed to the right pill.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I always do some research on the internet to try and find out more about any new medication I am prescribed. Then I make up my own mind whether to take it or not. My dad has always been the opposite. If the doctor says he needs it, he'll take it. Doesn't matter what it's for or what the side effects are. He doesn't want to know. I always keep new meds behind the old.
    My boss and his wife always put the new meds at the front and often have a couple of bottles or packets on the go at the same time. Every now and again, I go through it all and take out the out-of-date stuff.
    Christine
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi SW
    I have in my many many years of doing the drug round have patients question me regarding the tablets I gave them
    Many have said that's not what I take mines yellow not white! I always explained the colour can vary from company to company and said we use the cheaper ones but always showed them the packet
    Understandable that tablets confuse people especially when the colours do change
    I'm boring all mine are white except that yellow/orange sulphasalazine
    As we were taught when doing the drug round check check and double check
    Check you have correct patient correct drug correct dose and check the best before date
    So ingrained in me I still do it every time I get my tablets out even though I know its me!
    I'm a bit OCD
    As the saying goes keep taking the tablets
    Maria
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I am the same Maria, the nurse in us will never leave will it?

:D i even have drug rounds the same as in hospital, but it is just me as the patient, 8am, 12, 5pm, 10pm. :lol:

Janie xx
  • maria09
    Options
    Oh Janie
    That really made me laugh
    Have you a drugs chart too :lol:
    Maria
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Just had to mention a friend of mine who put verruca drops on her daughter's foot and left the bottle next to her own eye drops on the bedside table. Yes, you know what's coming! She finished up in A&E having her eye washed out and luckily there was no permanent damage. Just shows how easy it is to make a mistake.

Meg
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Meg, I did that too! After a sleepless night when my daughter was a baby, I stumbled into the bathroom and put my eye drops in..only it was Clinique spot treatment gel instead. I also spent the day having my eye washed out at the hospital! The only saving grace was that the nurse said to me 'well at least it's a good expensive brand'. I guess the vanity never truly dies does it?! :lol:
  • maria09
    Options
    Someone I know put false nail glue in a colleagues eye thinking it was her saline eye drops!!
    Luckily it was a quick walk down to A&E for the poor girl luckily she was ok but they did think she could have lost sight in her eye
    Both bottles looked identical just shows you should always check the labels
    Maria