Vit D blood test when diagnosed with Osteoporosis

Options
elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 18. Jul 2013, 14:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
After being to the gp and among others things asking if I could have a blood test for Vit D because I have been diagnosed with OP he said this was not usually done and he would look into it and call me back.
I said, (knowing that this test is done on the NHS), if not I would pay for it.

He has just called me back and said that a form is waiting in reception for me for a Vit D and Calcium phosphate blood test as this test is done for patients with osteoporosis/osteopenia. It really is good to arm oneself with knowledge when going to see the gp if possible. :wink: I hope he remembers this for his next patient diagnosed with OP

Elna x
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done. Forewarned is forearmed :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Good for you elna it just shows that sometimes the patient knows better...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    I hope you taught him something there too Elna :wink:

Good luck with your bloods

Love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Thanks for that Elna.......I didn't know that....I've got osteopenia.
    It might be worth me asking the GP

Love
    Hileena
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Interesting why would you need to have vit D checked i have osteopenia.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Lupin,
    No doubt Elna will be back on to answer this some time soon.
    I've got to admit even though I have osteopenia I hadn't really thought about it until she mentioned it.
    As far as I know Vit D is for making healthy bones. I'm a vegetarian so I'm sure I don't get enough in my food and as for sunlight???? well....I'm sure none of us get that here :lol: {although the weather has been brilliant for the past few days} :wink:
    Just my ideas....we'll see what Elna says when she comes back
    Love
    Hileena
  • SwankyChris
    SwankyChris Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Guys.

Just a quick note on Vit D and it's functions. So many people are unaware of the importance of this Vitamin.

Vitamin D does play a part in maintain healthy bones, it helps regulate calcium levels. Vit D, Calcium and Magnesium are all needed in order for bones to to be healthy.

Vit D is synthesized in the skin following exposure to sunlight, well in fact not sunlight but specifically UV-B rays which make up a portion of sunlight. One of the big problems with this is for most of us living in the northern hemisphere. Almost all UV-B is filtered out of sunlight by the Ozone layer and also by atmospheric Oxygen. Anyone living north of 42 degrees will be unable to produce adequate amounts of Vit D from sunlight exposure. The UK is 46 degrees north BTW.

Another and very important role of Vit D is that it contributes to the regulation of some cytokines within the immune system. It helps regulate TH1 , TH2 and CD4+ levels. These cytokines all play a major role in regulating inflammation.

Finally on to Vit D blood levels.

Vit D is tested by testing for 25(OH)D or 25-hydroxycholecalciferol or 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Present reference ranges are set in such a way to ensure patients do not develop Vit D deficient diseases i.e. Rickets etc. These reference ranges to not take into account Vit D levels required for a healthy immune system due to it presently being unknown as to what level is adequate.