Electric wheelchair

Options
janjankay
janjankay Member Posts: 20
edited 10. Jul 2013, 05:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am going to be asses-ed for a electric wheelchair i have had a few falls lately and don't have confidence in going out so my GP suggested a electric wheelchair i can not have a manual one as i also have OA in my neck and shoulders. As anyone on here got one and what do you think of them. My GP said i could use it to go outside to the local shops. Any advice would be great.

jan

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Jan I am afraid I can't answer you as I a not in a wheelchair(yet), being the weekend the forums are usually a bit quieter, I am sure there will be someone along soon to help.................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I was assessed for one a couple of years ago but was refused as I can manage indoors with a zimmer most of the time . Here in Sussex you only get an electric one if it's to be used the whole of your waking hours ! Different areas have different criteria so I hope you will be successful .
    Jillyb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    I have only experience as a carer (in the past :wink: ) some are fantastic and will certainly be easier on your spine than one you self-propel.

Most have special thingies which drop down at the front to help you mount kerbs - Probably called kerb mounters :oops:

They are obviously heavier than manual ones and the batteries need charging.

Good luck

Love

Toni xxx
  • janjankay
    janjankay Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the advice i may not get a electric wheelchair if it has to be for every waking moment as i can walk around the house with 2 sticks and i can walk outside a short distance with my rollator the problem is i am in extreme pain when i do so don't get out much my GP said this is not right and i should be able get out and enjoy being out so don't know if they take my pain into account.

jan
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
    Options
    Hello Jan
    I have a mobility scoota I cannot walk very far and I want to take my dog for a walk so I got a scoota 10 years ago I leave it outside a shop so I can walk around and get the shopping then back on my scoota to go home
    I also use shopmobility when I go to town you can borrow a scoota or wheelchair from them to go around town I use d.a r.d to get me there and back.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Jan

I have an electric wheelchair, my local wheelchair services at hospital let me have a go in the ones they had, I would say definately try different ones out. As you have problems with your neck, get a neckrest for sure. Also a kerb climber for outside.

It could be that you may have one in the future, the wheelchair services are strict in their rules.

Good luck

Janie xx