Smoking .....

Options
DebbieT
DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
edited 11. Jul 2013, 19:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm on my 2nd cigarette free day!!

I'm feeling ok so far & today was easier than yesterday ... I really hope I'm successful this time as my chest really needs the help of being non smokers :?
Hopefully with the methotrexate being stopped & me giving up combined with the massive antibiotic doses I'll be able to clear wot is now pneumonia, fingers crossed. Aarrgghhhh the pressure is huge .... And breathe :) x
Healing Hugs
Debbie.x

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done Debbie, I think you know you have got to do it this time for the sake of your chest, you also know we will all be there behind you if you find it tough going. I gave up about five years ago and I am so glad I did it I cant stand the smell of cigarette smoke now, keep focussing that every day you abstain it will get easier..............good luck and keep us posted how you are getting on..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Funnily I've never liked the smell :?

Thank you, ure support means a lot. I feel pretty determined that's for sure ... :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Well done Debbie. It's good that you are so determined. I have never smoked but think it must be difficult to give up. My mum died of emphysema. I don't think she was able to give up as she had started when she was 14. They didn't know then how bad smoking was. What I don't understand is that my brother, one of my sisters, my nephew and 2 nieces all smoke after watching how ill mum was. Good luck. I'm sure you will do it now you have your head round it.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Well done you DebbieT :D

I am an ex-smoker too so it can be done.

My main philosophy was stolen from Richard Madeley of all people :oops: He said he hadn't necessarily given up for ever, but wasn't smoking today. A bit like saying take it a day at a time, but better for me as the thought of never having another cig was toooooo scary :lol:

That was several years ago now and I am still not smoking and hopefully won't again.

Go YOU!!! Hope the pneumonia clears soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Well done Debbie.

I know how hard it is, I gave up a couple of years ago now and it has made an enormous difference to my chest, I used to wake every night at least once with unstoppable coughing,it was awful.

Are you using any nicotine replacement things?
    I used the patches and a inhalator, which helped a lot as it gave me something to do with my hands.

I also can't stand the smell of cigarettes now either.

I wish you every success, keep us posted :)
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Thank you all, the support is really appreciated!! :)

I'm using nicorette patches & then gum for after meals etc wen the craving is at it's worst. I have to say its going really well, it feels too easy at the moment & it's worrying me ... Do any of you remember if it felt easy? :?

The trouble with this addiction & habit is the stupidity of it. We know it's really really bad for us & it costs a fortune but more often than not it rules our lives anyway ... I'm sick of being so weak!!

Day 3 ... Im feeling strong :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,934
    Options
    Hello Debbie
    good for you I know you will do it. think what you can buy with the money.
    I've never smoked I don't like the smell.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Not living in the red will help :? Thank you Joan :)

I made a week, phew :D x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Wow Debbie that's really good well done you
    I've never smoked but can imagine how difficult it would be to kick the habit as it is an addiction
    My Dad smoked all of my childhood tried many times to give up till one day it clicked and he's not smoked for last 35 years
    Keep it up Debbie
    Put your cigarette money in a jar it will soon add up and treat yourself to something
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I used to be a smoker but not to any great extent. I used to smoke Gitanes and they could only be bought in the town centre. As my arthritis worsened it became too hard to get in to buy them so I stopped. Job done. :(

Good luck, stick at it because it will be better for your health and your purse. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Woo Hoo, well done missus, one week down and lots more to go you are going great, don't hesitate to post if you need help to get you through..........tc..........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Well done, that's great going! Stick at it, it's amazing how much easier it is to exercise and how much more you can do without becoming breathless once your lung function returns. Mr LV gave up last summer and had the shock of his life when he went surfing a few weeks ago and could still breathe at the end of his session, something he hasn't been able to do for years apparently.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Dear Debbie;

That's fantastic!!

We're here cheering you on, you're doing great!

(((())))xAnna