26 and scared!!

Options
mrskayh
mrskayh Member Posts: 16
edited 8. Jul 2013, 05:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
hey, i said hello in the say hello bit, thought id start here too. I am 26, married mum of 1, i have pcos, and was told by my gp that the horrific pains in mt joints (esp my hands) is arthritis, as my mum has rheumatiod and so did her mum and the "symetrical" pains makes her suspect it too is rheumatiod, and has sent me away for bloodtests next week. Does anyone know if is possiblw to get osteoarthritis at my age?

Im looking for support and advice, i moved to manchest less then 3months ago and have no friends or family here.

Thanks in advanance.
Kay xx

Ps please excuse my bad typing but im using my phone and its a bit of a pain in the butt cos its touch screen and im zoomed in etc xx

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Am so sorry to hear you have got such problems at so young an age and do hope your gp will be able to help you find the right meds. Am sure you will get lots of replies from the others and know several live in the North West, and they will be along to advise you.

As far as your query about getting OA at your age, it is quite possible. It seems that although OA was once considered a problem for those of us who fall into the 'mature category', it seems increasingly to be affecting those in the younger age ranges, and I think, from what I read recently, that the medical profession may have to re-think their views.

The forum is rather quiet tonight - probably as a result of Wimbledon. Many of us on the forum are tennis addicts.

Do hope you can get your meds sorted without too much delay.

Beryl
  • mrskayh
    Options
    thank you, yes i bet the tennis will be keeping people thrilled, i watched both matches with my little boy. Late to bed for him but its rare so i dont mind lol.

The way the gp said it (she seems really nice) was that it could be either or and the blood test will show which it is. Can only RA be seen on blood?

Nice to know there are some people from the north west here, i moved from the north east (berwick upon tweed) in april so its all new! But i love it so far :)

Kay.xx
  • snowdrop123
    snowdrop123 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Kay

Pleased to meet you. I'm very sorry to hear that you are having a tough time with the arthritis pain. It's not that long since I was diagnosed with OA. The blood test will help your GP workout whether the problem is an autoimmune type of arthritis or not. Osteoarthritis isn't an autoimmune one so won't show anything different to a 'normal' person, where as, RA and PsA are atuoimmune types so will show as a raised level of some sort of marker in the blood. I'm no expert but there is lots of useful info on this site which will probably answer your questions better than I can. I'm sure that some of the more experienced people on the forum will be along soon to explain to you a bit more about the things you want to know.

I hope you enjoy living in Manchester. I was brought up there but I moved away quite a long time ago.
    best wishes
    Kate
  • mrskayh
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I knew RA would show, wasnt sure about OA, guess i'll have to believe my gp. Think im still in denial...but it makes sense really :/
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Kay

I am sorry to hear of your problems. One does hear of people with pcos unfortunately getting joint pain too. I had a blood test for RA years after being diagnosed with OA. The surgeon wanted me to have a test because both my knees were painful. The test came back positive but after seeing a rheumatologist I was told that I did not have RA . So I was back to being a person with OA. I did not escape with the OA just in my knees unfortunately.

All you can do is wait for the results of the bloodtest. Take one step at a time, your gp is looking after you. I hope you have some meds to help with the pain.

Stick with us lot and we will help and support you as much as we can. Some of us have been on this forum for years and others pop in and out depending on what is going on in our lives.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mrskayh
    Options
    Hello Elna,

Thank you for ur reply. How did your rfeumatologist disprove ur RA? Im trying to not read too much before i get confirmation either way. My bloodtest is thursday and gp thinks results will take 3or4 days so wont have any type of answer for around 10days. I havent been given any meds, she said to continue with the paracetamol and ibruprofen until we know for sure.

Kay.xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    HI Kay

lovely to meet you :) Welcome to our forums

Sounds like you have at least found a good GP there who can help you get to the bottom of your pain.

Yes you can get OA at any age. Several folks on here started in the 20's some even earlier.

The bloods will help, but may still come back clear. If they do the chances are your GP will ask for further tests (or you can request them?) like Xrays/ ultrasound etc given the family history and as you say the symmetry.

Love

Toni xxx

PS I am rubbish on my mobile too if I have to post on it :roll:
  • elnafinn
    Options
    mrskayh wrote:
    Hello Elna, you for ur reply. How did your rfeumatologist disprove ur RA? Im trying to not read too much before i get confirmation either way. My bloodtest is thursday and gp thinks results will take 3or4 days so wont have any type of answer for around 10days. I havent been given any meds, she said to continue with the paracetamol and ibruprofen until we know for sure.Kay.xx

Hi again Kay

The rheumi took samples of fluid from my knee and it was from the colour of the fluid that he based his theory on. I have heard that the blood test for RA may not always be 100% correct (as in my case) but taking into account all the symptoms you may have it can be established one way of the other. I was diagnosed with oa for years so was a little in shock when the blood test came through positive but as I say for me the RA diagnosis was thrown out of the window.
    How old is your child?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mrskayh
    Options
    Ah i see. Im trying to keep an open mind, its all very scary to be honest. But luckily my husband is as supportive as he can be, bless him he works full time so im home alobe with my son. Hes 2 and a half, a conplete handful lol. Hes currently being referred to speech and language as he cant talk, he has maybe 10 words the rest is just noises, as well as a behaviour assesment as hes showing signs of asd. Its all go in my house and we never seem to have a break, guess thats why i found this news so upsetting, having had 2minor ops myself last year because of my pcos i had hoped for some time away from docs and hospitals!!
    Xxx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Ah bless you. Yes, with a two year old things will be pretty manic. So good to hear that your husband is supportive. That is a real positive. You really do have a lot going on in your lives. Dear Kay, try to take one step at a time with the latest blip.

It is good to chat so please do on here as much as you wish or have time for.

Look after yourself as well, remember. ;)

Elna x

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi welcome to Arthritis Care forum Kay, you have come to the right place and you will get all the support you need as well as met similar people like yourself. And never be afraid to ask a question we all try and help each other as well as have fun! I have been told I had my Osteo-porosis from childhood I'm now 40, I know it is different but I have also been diagnosed recently with Osteo-arthritis in my hands and they have hurt on and off since I was a teenager. So I hope that answers your question. Welcome again!! bubbadog