Studies or trials?

Options
petergd
petergd Member Posts: 12
edited 7. Jul 2013, 16:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
A few months ago i was diagnosed (if that's the correct term) with stage 4 osteoarthritis in my right ankle. I had a bone spur removed after some previous fractures and was told a bit out of the blue that there was practically no cartilage left down there.

I recently saw a podiatrist or Biomechanical something something, I forget what his official title was but he was very good, probably received the best advice i've had since the news.

Lots of ideas but its all managing the pain rather than dealing with it finally. I still feel a bit in limbo regards the future. which brings me to the point of this post.

Does anyone know of any resources or trials relating to later stage osteoarthritis in ankles? i'm not quite clutching at straws yet but I cant have this ruin my life so i'm willing to guinea pig it a little for the potential of a pain free, mobile existence again.

any ideas much appreciated!

peter

Relating to a previous post of mine, apparently a fusion is out of the question for someone my age (35) even though i've heard that younger people have had them. Everyone that i've spoken too (in the nhs) without fail has said it would be a bad idea. hmm.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What sort of trial did you have in mind? Meds? Mechanical devices? I can't quite see what one can trial. Did your orthotist suggest anything? My own ankles evetually fused themselves. This does leave me with less movement (Well, none to be exact :lol: ) but virtually no pain there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    you should check out Arthritis Research UK as they list all the funding they give and to which hospitals.
  • petergd
    petergd Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks Salamander will have a look. Stickywicket, anything that could potentially help. Meds probably not, the orthotist mainly talked about shoes, walking pattern etc but we did talk about a consultant who went on from the hospital to work with sports people with similar problems. As i'm not worth millions though i'm not sure I could afford his services

I was really angling for new procedures or news of new procedures for the regrowing/harvesting of cartilage that could be introduced into the joint. I have scrounged a bit of info on the procedure but it seems mainly to be used on other parts of the body and not the ankle. I think there is a consultant in Lincolnshire who is working on it if my notes are correct?

I will post any info on any studies that I can find.
    anyway thanks for your replies.
    peter