can i have some help please

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
edited 9. Jul 2013, 12:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all I hope you are having a good day.
Monday my diclofenic was changed to naproxen I have liquid as I have a problem swallowing tablets the doctor and the pharmacist said I could cut them but after swallowing them I get a burning down my throat I think that is wrong so I saw the pharasist this she said you have to swallow them hole
I never took one this morning i'm going to see if I can get a doctors ap on mon.
thank you joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan
    So you are on Naproxen TABS? is that right.....don't they do liquid.
    Sorry I'm not much help....I was changed from diclofenic to naproxen and I find the best way to take them is with some food {even a piece of bread and put the tablet in your mouth at the same time} The other thing is ...I find it easier to get tablets down by having a drink out of a sports bottle rather than a glass or ordinary bottle.....not sure why? :lol:
    Hope you get it sorted on Monday because if you are like me you'll know when you haven't take them :(

Love
    Hileena
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi; I agree with Hileena, definitely take with food. A meal if possible, or yogurt & some toast.

I'm not sure of the nature of your difficulty swallowing pills, but I take mine with banana. Chew the banana, take the pill, swallow. The slippery banana helps the pill go down so you barely notice it. Yogurt or milk, and drinking lots of water with it will help with heartburn.

Naproxen always gives me heartburn. When I was taking it, I switched to the enteric coated and this was much better. You definitely can't split those though as the enteric coat will be compromised.

Hope you have luck,
    Anna
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Joan

I remember that you have a problem swallowing pills. Naproxen can be prescribed in a liquid form I believe so that would not cause you a problem, would it?

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Oh Joan!!!

They are naughty prescribing a tablet instaed of a liquid when you can't swallow tablets :x GRR!!!!

How right were you to notice and take advice!!! :shock:

I am sure your GP will sort it out for you and give you an anti-inflammatory in liquid form.

Fingers crossed for you and good luck :D

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Joan
    Most naproxen tablets are gasto coated to protect your stomach and I'm sure they have to be swallowed whole as cutting them in half will expose the medication so could cause the burning you felt
    Are you taking a medication that protects your stomach such as lansoprazol or omeprazol as diclofenac and naproxen can play havoc with your stomach
    Has your GP said why he has changed your medication?
    I would certainly ask your pharmacist for advice mine is excellent and he sometimes advises me as to the medication I'm taking and if its the best one for me
    Maria
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Hileena Boomer Elna Toni Maria.
    thank you for your help I have been taking the tablets with food and a drink.
    yes I have lansoprazol I cannot swallow the tablet whole so I cut it.the doctor said he did not think they did the liquid anymore I had the liquid a few years ago.
    I was taken off diclofenic as it can cause problems.
    take care all thank you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello Joan.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your meds. You're right that the latest thinking is that diclofenac isn't as safe as naproxen. It might simply be that, because of that, many GP's are automatically changing all their patients over from diclos to nap and that some enthusiastic Practice Manager has failed to notice that you need the liquid form. I think naproxen does still come in liquid form and I hope they can get you onto it asap.

Meanwhile, is it possible for you to do what my sister used to do for her dog (Please don't be offended :lol: )? She used to crumble pills between two teaspoons then sandwich them between two layers of pate or jam or banana - anything squidgy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Sticky.
    I hope you are as well as can be with not too much pain.
    yes I do cut them but you have to swallow them whole when I cut them i have a burning in my throat so I have not took any since sat.
    i'm going to see the doctor tomorrow.
    take care thank you for your help.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    Hope you get the answers you need
    I'm sure naproxen does not come in liquid form I looked it up
    The doctor should be able at a glance on the computer if they come in liquid form or not if they don't he/she needs to re think what to give you
    I'm sure cutting them up is not the answer as they are coated to protect your stomach and by cutting them up you are exposing the medication to your insides straight away maybe that's why you had the burning feeling
    Take advice from your pharmacist mine is a fountain of knowledge
    Good luck
    Maria
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Maria
    I saw a doctor today.( mine's on holiday.) he said I can see why they wont give you the liquid its very expensive. he said I'll give you some you can put in water I could not understand what he said when I was outside I looked at it it was diclofenic what I had just been taken off by my doctor.
    I hope you are having a good day.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Joan
    Doctors are a funny breed
    He's given you the diclofenac as naproxen doesn't come in liquid form which your usual GP should have known
    I think they don't understand when patients say they can't swallow tablets
    My daughter was terrible and no matter how many times we told them!
    Doesn't help saying cut them in half! Still doesn't work! Of you can't swallow them anyway!
    Luckily she's ok with them now as she has numerous to take its also taken me many years to get the hang of it and still useless at taking tablet shaped I'm ok with capsules or oblong shaped ones but don't give me paracetamol shaped tablets I'm useless
    Glad he's sorted it out for you
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh my lovely, I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. All this panic stations over something that probably won't happen is idiotic, methinks. You know what you can manage and your GP should remember too and take it into account. If ever anything else is changed make sure you say, quite firmly, that if it doesn't come in a liquid or dilutable form you won't have it. Even stage a sit-in if necessary (I'll come and help out with that, that would be both an honour and a pleasure. I hope you are feeling a little better about it all now. I send hugs. ((((( J ))))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Joan
    I am sorry you have had these probs with the I do hope you can get the liquid form..its no wonder the tablets are burning your throat..they are usually cores so they dont do this...but if you cut them up the coating wont work the same..good Luck and let us know how you get on(((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi Joan
    Doctors are a funny breed
    He's given you the diclofenac as naproxen doesn't come in liquid form which your usual GP should have known Maria

Hi Maria

This link says that naproxen does come in liquid form.
    http://arthritis.emedtv.com/naproxen/liquid-naproxen.html

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elna
    I'm no good at posting links but was just about to post and say it does come in liquid form....so thanks.

Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Elna Hileena Barbara DD Maria
    i cant have the liquid its too expensive so I've been put back on diclofenic I've been on it so long it's stopped working.my doctor comes back from his holiday next week.
    thank you for your help.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, I've been there with Celebrex, that was taken away from me due to cost - l was given naproxen plus omeprazole, learning that two meds cost less than one was an eye-opener. I know that over the years meds can lose their effectiveness but it seems very unfair to take you off something that you can take only to put you on something that you can't.

Stand your ground, Joan, we'll be behind you, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    I must be lucky I'm still on Celebrex and GP put me back on it last year saying that Diclofenac and naproxen both started a volcano erupting in my stomach after one dose!
    Maria