Being Tested For RA Now..

Options
Love2Draw
Love2Draw Member Posts: 15
edited 8. Jul 2013, 05:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
I've not posted on here for a while. I was mega-stressed out with everything involving DWP, my ESA claim, the appeal and then tribunal I've recently had.
I won't go into detail with that, apart from the fact that I had to ask my MP to step in several times due to the incompetence of DWP staff. Anyway, I "won" my tribunal, placed in ESA WRAG from "fit for work", MP had to help with sorting out my WRAG component arrears and the DWP finally paid up what they owed me.
The stress of going through all of that was way too much to cope with...on top of the constant pain of OA of my spine.

So, for the past few weeks, I've been feeling pain, swelling and stiffness in my hands, wrists, feet and ankles. It's a different sort of pain from my OA...I'm sure that many of you will understand what I mean there.

I went to see my GP on Friday about this new pain. When I told her that my Mum's sister has RA, she said that I should be tested for it too now.
I've to go back on Tuesday morning for blood tests, and I've to go to my local hospital to have my feet x-rayed because the pain there is making it difficult to walk..especially for the first few hours every morning.
Forgetting to take my pain meds (for OA) at the right time is making the hand/wrist/ankle/foot pain more intense.

So, could I ask you lovely people here...if I DO have RA, what should I expect ?
I'm just getting used to managing my life around the constant pain in my spine and both sacroiliac joints.....and now my hands and feet are hurting too.

Quickly going back to the DWP business, I had to go to a work focused interview on Thursday. The advisor was lovely and said that I should ask for a reconsideration to be placed in the ESA Support Group, and she told me that I should make a claim for DLA(now PIP). She is arranging a call from a welfare rights advisor to help me with the reconsideration and the PIP claim. She is going to phone me in 1 months time to see how I'm getting on.

Being totally honest...there are days where I feel so low about everything that I feel worthless. My GP knows about this and I'm on antidepressants as well as my pain meds.
My hands are aching so much right now that it hurts just typing this. Feet are not so bad at the moment because I rubbed some Voltarol gel on them.

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow, have you ever been under a lot of stress. Very sorry to hear that and now with other joints painful too. You really need to take care of yourself, #1 priority (())

I had a long battle to get compensation as my difficulties initially seemed to be triggered by a workplace injury. I now know I have PsA. Seven years since my injury and I battled away and eventually lost my case. The stress load was off the chart!! It took me months and months to get over the exhaustion from that process.

Anyway, I can't tell what to expect as my illness is different, but I hope you can reduce your stress level and get lots of rest. Do try not to worry, even though it may seem impossible with all that you are going through at the moment. Your GP will do the tests and you'll get referred & on treatment if you are positive for RA, and things will improve.

Take care
    xxAnna
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Oh poor you!

You have had a rough time :(

Right I am glad your are sensibly having bloods and Xrays done - very wise of the GP with the history

If the bloods are positive (or if they are not but GP still expects some form of inflammatory arthritis), you will be referred to a rheumatologist.

He/she will also test you(more blood ::)) and may in time put you on medication to prevent joint damage and reduce the symptoms.

What I want to say is if it IS RA chances are it has been there a while. You have coped with widespread OA, you can and WILL cope fine with that too if it happens. If anything things will be better because you will know what is wrong and be able to take steps to help it.

And BTW WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!! for battling and winning the ESA war :)

Take care and do let us know how you get on

Love

Toni xxx
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    feel sorry for you , not nice even if its not RA

pleased the adviser will help you , would try & onto the support group for ESA first , only trouble is they are changing the rules for DLA soon & making PIP the standard for new applicants , think a lot of us on DLA will have trouble when they change it over

to get in the support group in ESA you have to score 15 points in one section ie: walking ,

to have so many joints play up at once maybe it something else & not RA & if the results come back negitive ask to be refered to a rheumatoligist , if they come back positive you need to be refered anyway
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi, So sorry you've had to deal with a lot lately, now you your waiting to hear back on blood tests! I think you will know in yourself how to live your life and what you will need to change, you seem very savvy on that. You have every right to feel a little down with everything you've had to deal with recently it could be delayed as you had no time to feel low when you dealt with the DWP and the tribunal. Hope you feel better in yourself soon and that your G.P can help you with the pain.