Hi again, how did the appointment go? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PaulO
    PaulO Member Posts: 24
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD.

Hope you are feeling well ?

Sorry been a while had to rebuild my PC.

Seen doc on Wednesday and was given Cortisone Injection (Working well)
    Now transferring over to NHS,

Went to local GP on Thursday as my neck is still given pain and stiffness.

He prescribed Tramadol ( Bit worried about taken these) Thoughts ?
    Well over to the Rumatologist on 6th September.

Keep well
    X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I remember the last time I felt well - it was October 2001 but I can't remember what it felt like. :lol: Today I am a tad delicate after a very late night combined with gin and elderflower punch and probably too much white wine. :wink:

Steroids can work well but they are only a temporary fix. I have had many steroid injections into my knees and ankles but only had relief for about three days rather thean the three months they can last. I took oral steroids for three years, I loved them because I COULD feel a difference but, after a stern lecture from my favourite rheumatology nurse I spent a year weaning myself off them.

Tramadol is strong stuff, I have 50mg trammies and 100mg slow-release ones too but I keep them for the truly awful days, the rest of the time I make do with cocodamol at 30/500 strength. I coined the term 'pain dullers' because that is what they do, they don't take the pain fully away and the stronger they are the more you are removed from the pain, not vice versa. You are still in the very early days of this and I would urge you not to go down the tramadol route just yet; neither of us know how things will develop for you and I think it best to keep something up your sleeve just in case. Cocos come in three grades, they are a combination of codeine and paracetamol, some people don't get on too well with them but they are worth a try.

There has just been an almighty crash from the kitchen - I have to go and investigate. I can hear sweeping up going on. I wonder what he's smashed this time? :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    RIP our Pyrex dish. Apparently it's my fault he smashes things. :)

Right, where was I? Males feel pain more actutely than females as they have a greater number of pain receptors so I have no doubt that you are feeling a great level of discomfort. I am seventeen years ahead of you and have learned over the years to live with the pain - in fact I don't want it to go, even for a moment, because it will only return and I would have to learn to adjust all over again. Been there, done that, won't do it again. :wink: Each person has their level of tolerance - one man's mild ache is another's burning agony but I wold urge you to begin with a lower level of pain relief so that you have options further on. Neither you nor me know how things will develop for you but I have always felt that it was a good thing to have another level available.

It's not long now until September, my best guess is that the rheumatologist will start you on either sulphasalazine or methotrexate, they are two of the usual starter meds. Your RA has been caught good and early thanks to your alert GP and I hope that means you will gain a greater benefit from the meds. All being equal you should.

Right, I have to go. I wish you well. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's a few days on now, PaulO, how are things? I hope all is as well as possible with you and your family. DD
  • PaulO
    PaulO Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi DD Hope you are well and have managed to replace the Pyrex Dish :D

I hear what you are saying ref Pain, i am currently at a level i can just cope with"I am a big softy really"

Going to keep the Tramadol as a emergency supply for the awful days !!!!

Well tomorrow sees the stop smoking attempt, got the strong patches and i am determined to give up this expensive and damaging habit,

I have smoked since i was 15 and i am currently on approx 20 to 30 a day,

Thanks again for your sound advice,

Have a great weekend.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Crikey mate, you're not doing things by halves are you? A life-changing diagnosis leads to changing a life habit that could be a support at the current time. Good for you, I hope you can kick the habit - I stopped because I could no longer get into town to buy mine (I was a Gitane girl) but I was never a heavy smoker.

Don't deny yourself the help that the dullers can give, even the lower-level ones will ease some of it, but we do have to get used to being in varying degrees of pain - it's tough but true. As for the Pyrex dish - that's on the shopping list for next week 'cos I've run out of money. :oops: DD

PS Seriously, I wish you the best in giving up smoking - you will be richer and smell much nicer. How about an electronic one? My mate Steve turned to those and it worked well for him.