Please could I request for you to keep your fingers crossed?

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 12. Jul 2013, 05:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Obviously, metaphorically crossed fingers are acceptable for those who have pesky arthritis in their fingers. :wink:

I have passed the first stage towards being included in the following clinical trial. It looks very promising!
First-in-human trial of a new drug for rheumatoid arthritis

Researchers at Kings College London are reaching the culmination of fifteen years of work by carrying out the first in-human trial of a new treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. If successful then the two year trial will show that infusions of binding immunoglobulin protein (BiP) will enable the body’s own immune system to help protect it against rheumatoid arthritis.

BiP is part of the body’s normal anti-inflammatory response and although it is found in the joints of people who have rheumatoid arthritis, there are insufficient quantities to have a therapeutic effect. Research already conducted indicates that giving an intravenous dose of BiP will quickly boost the patients’ anti-inflammatory response and will likely also reset their immune system to give a long lasting effect.

“If BiP works as we expect then a single dose should be sufficient to put patients into remission for months,” says Professor Gabriel Panayi, Professor Emeritus of rheumatology at King’s College London.

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's great news Sophie. That is very interesting I have never heard of BiP, I get infusions every three weeks of immunoglobulin IVIg(human plasma) for a neurological condition, it is very powerful stuff I have spoken to people who have a condition called CIDP that have been paralysed and now can use all their limbs. I am trying to cross my arthritic fingers for you hoping you get through. It is great to think if it works you would maybe only need an infusion a couple of times a year. Keep us informed with the progress, I am so pleased for you...........tc.........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    How many stages are there to pass, Marie? I do hope you get onto the trial.

Wishing you all the very best with it.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I'm sending them my blood test results and then, I think they want to meet me to examine my joints and take a fuller medical hisptue. I also need to clarify timings of everything because I'm back to university in September and my schedule will not be very flexible. It would be great to be involved in this trial, so I've got my fingers crossed that a.) I can take part but most importantly, b.) that it progresses research into RA and other types of inflammatory arthritis.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed as long as I can!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just for the challenge I tried to cross my fingers- failed miserably wincing :(

But metaphorically they're all crossed-really hope you get there and it works! Thank you for having the courage to take part in research which might potentially one day help many others.

Deb x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Fantastic news Sophie

I really really hope you can join the trial and that it HELPS :)

Fingers firmly crossed toes and legs too :wink:

love

Toni xxx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I've read about this trial, thought it had started already. Hope you get on it.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I think I read a little about this a while ago. I've got my fingers crossed and my toes metaphorically crossed for you. It would be wonderful if it works.
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Ankles crossed for you Starburst. Good luck.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    fingers crossed sounds exciting :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?