Shoulder arthritis

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 12. Jul 2013, 15:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I've been getting a lot of pain in my right shoulder lately. This is a relatively new pain, and am wondering what arthritis feels like in the shoulder? The pain I have is right at the top of my arm, towards the front. It's a sickening, dull grinding pain, which radiates down my arm and causes it to feel numb, kind of like I've slept badly on it. It also feels like it weighs 20 stone, and I have to slip my bra strap down as it feels like it's pulling too much (it's not).

I'm seeing the rheumatologist next week, but just wanted to ask on here.

Thanks

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Mine creaks and grinds and is painful but never suffer the numbness maybe its catching the nerve when you are lifting it
    Get your Rheumy to give it a good going over when you go
    Maria
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    My sympathies are with you ouch potato. I had a frozen left shoulder over 18 months ago and although it is significantly better as far as movement goes, I still cannot lie on it and am still getting pain in my shoulder and neck also. When I saw my physio last week she told me she suspects I now have osteoarthritis in it.

The main pain I get is along my shoulder, up the side of my neck and, at times, down my arm as well. This is added to OA in my back (right hand side) and right knee which decided it didn't want to be left out!!!

Wonder if your pain is a frozen shoulder? Have you had it x-rayed? I hope it isn't as wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. Hope you can get sorted soon.

Take care. Beryl
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    My sympathies too, but dare I say I was grateful to read your post as I've been having similar shoulder/arm pain for a month now and it's a relief to know I'm not alone!- the gp suggested it was from my neck and gave me exercises and pain killers, but it feels more like arthritis sore and ache. I'm now contemplating ringing rheumy team tomorrow to ask for advice.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Deb x
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Hello

Oh my, I so know what this feels like, I have a tear in the shoulder due to the arthritis,the pain has been there since last summer but it came and went till the start of this year,

I have it from my collarbone right through the shoulder and down to my thumb, cant sleep on it and cannot raise the arm past my shoulder,the pain is constant,have had 2 scans on the left shoulder and 1 on the right, seeminly the right shoulder is just as bad but I have no pain there,

I am to have an operation on the tear but the surgeon cancelled the appointment 24 hours before I was to see him,and im still awaiting another appointment,

you have my sympathy
    Take care
    Lily x
  • lurch1
    lurch1 Member Posts: 561
    Options
    hello lily
    I have OA in most joints, but was suffering pain in shoulders after 10 years using crutches.
    Having had xrays ive been told i now have rotor cuff impingement, which is the muscles catching on the shoulder bones, sounds possibly like that?
    Hoping you can get a quick answer
    cris
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi ouchpotato;

Shoulder pain :x Grrr, no fun. Mine is arthritic and I variously have pain in my upper arm, across and under the shoulder blade, up into my neck and of course the actual joint. Sometimes, it "merely" feels like I've been punched in the upper arm. When shoulder joint is inflamed I can't do anything with my whole arm. At night the whole thing sets up like cement and I can't move.

I would say you can have outright joint pain or referred pain to your arm, shoulder blade, neck, etc. depending on the degree of inflammation.

Glad you are seeing a rheum about it.

xx
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Hello lurch

The tear is in the rotor cuff and according to my consultant this is due to the arthritis, its amazing what we all find out on this long journey of ours, hoping for a cancellation but wont be holding my breath

Take care
    Lily x
  • lurch1
    lurch1 Member Posts: 561
    Options
    Hi lily
    am doing my best to avoid a tear!
    But being told to "rest" and "avoid repetitive movement" which is nigh on impossible when on crutches, i find a zimmer too akward,round the house,
    Going out is now restricted to when my daughters around, as i can no longer use my manual wheelchair.
    i do use a stroller on occassions but find even that affects my shoulders.Sleep is a problem as lying on your back hurts, on my side all my bones "move" (thats the only way i can describe it)Sorry if thats a bit of a rant, but i have my grumpy head on today!
    Hoping you can get sorted quickly
    cris
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Shoulder arthritis ~ awful , believe me I know ! I swapped to strapless bras years ago and it truly feels less painful .
    Jillyb
  • mari50
    mari50 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    There are alot of people with arthritic shoulders. The pain I have is unbelieveable. My doctor told me that the feeling of a ton weight on the shoulder is due to the heat. It is heavy and can feel awful especially if you in the town. I usually feel better on the coast. Anyone going to oblige in taking me there!!!!!
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Sorry , Mari50 , I live by the coast and still suffer with this ; we do have a spare room though ! Jillyb
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    I had awful pain in both shoulders a few years ago, although had suffered with it on and off a few years before. I was sent for an xray to see if the pain was coming from my cervical spine or the shoulders themselves. It turned out I did have arthritis in just one shoulder. I found my collar bond very pain and the shoulders themselves just had a deep ache, the left shoulder has always been the most painful and this is the one that does have the arthritis in.