bloodtests and support needed

Options
mrskayh
mrskayh Member Posts: 16
edited 11. Jul 2013, 14:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
my blood test is tomorrow morning, ive scared cos i hate giving blood, my veins always collapse and i end up bruised from elbow to wrist :(

Also i have a family event at the weekend and im not really sure how to if at all address my diagnosis...the doc said its arthritis, and the bloodtest is to confirm if its rheumatiod or not...how did you tell people? I feel like people wont believe me because of my age, or that im making too much of it etc. Ive only told a few people, my mum being one of them and she wasnt very supportive , she has suffered for a while too but never had it confirmed by the doctor cos shes the type that would rather "solider on" and complain to everyone that will listen thats not a doctor...

Thank you for reading, your support and advice is greatly appriciated.
Kay.xxx

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kay
    Good luck tomorrow. I hope your veins are nicely pumped ( this hot weather should help). I have monthly bloods so have lost any fear, I find just not watching them doing it still helps though.

As for the weekend, I tend to have two answers, the answer for people who are really concerned or interested where I explain I have arthritis related to my immune system going pear shaped. I then have a polite response aimed at reducing conversation on the subject (and unwanted advice which is usually offered), I guess you could briefly say that you are awaiting test results after struggling with a few issues with your joints. Don't think your mum isn't supportive. I find that mums can sometimes seem super insensitive because of two things - they are trying to be brave for you and make you feel better by pretending its nothing to worry about and they are struggling to cope with it themselves because they don't want anything to be wrong with their baby.

Let us know how you go,
    LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Good luck Kay, I know this is easy to say but try and relax as much as you can, I get bloods done every three weeks and the ones in between, I feel the more relaxed you are the easier it is for them to get the vein. As it is OA I have I can't really advise you, but our lovely LV has given you some wise words there, hope all goes well, let us know how y0u get on................tc.........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Kay, I suffer terribly with my veins too! I hate going to the vampires (Blood nurses). I bruise as well and look like I've been in a fight when I leave there. And I still hate having needles even after all these years! Nothing silly about hating them.
    As with broaching the subject of telling people about your Arthritis, I found it easier having my husband with me as he was with me when I was diagnosed and it made it easier with getting my family to listen having him by my side and back up everything I said. Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been having blood tests for years and still don't look even though I do my own injections. Just relax, keep your breathing steady and even, don't look and it will soon be over.

As for the week-end, wait and see if anyone says anything to you. If they do just reply that it's early days and you don't need to talk about it. Don't expect a definite yes or no from the blood tests, RA is diagnosed if there is a positive rheumatoid factor (RF) in the bloods (i.e. sero-positive) but there are also forms of auto-immune inflammatory arthritis which do not show a positive factor, they are called sero-negative. I have one of those. Either way you may be referred to a rheumatologist because they are the people that deal with this range of arthritis. As for your mum, well, how does she know what she has if she's never seen a doctor? She might well be worried about you, maybe also a little frightened for herself and possibly a little jealous that you have shown the courage to do what she hasn't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mrskayh
    Options
    Thanks guys. Blood taking went ok, am bruised, but she managed to withdraw it first time so not got mutiple bruises or stab marks.

I hate all the uncertainty of the situation :( hopefully wont be that long for y results, she did a general screen plus the rheumstiod test, 3 vials in total.

Kay.xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm glad it went OK, it's true that some phlebos are better than others but for the time being it's done and dusted. Please let us know what the results are. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Kay

In my humble opinion and not knowing what the family event is, how often you see these people and what they know about your health, and as you will not have a diagnosis by the weekend, why not leave saying anything too much. If you "don't look unwell" then people are probably just going to ask how you are as that is "what you do" even to passers by in the street but they are not waiting for a negative response or any reponse really other than, fine, ok, good thanks. Play it by ear, I would. There will be plenty of time in the future to say what you wish to whom you wish when you know more.

I am sorry to hear about your mum 's reponse. Upsetting though that is, brush yourself down, hold your head up high and praise yourself that at least you are addressing the problems and you know you have all us lot here, who really know what it is all about, to help and support you,

Enjoy the weekend,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mrskayh
    Options
    Thank you :) the family event is my parents retirement/farewell party, they move to malta later this month. I have regular contact with most of them via facebook/phone so most will ask how i am, how the move went, how my pcos and general health is treating me (we tried for 3years to have my son and ive needed a couple ops/proceedures due to it), i think unless needed i wont bring it up, save the questions and what not till ive had full results :)

It is quite upsetting how my mum reacted, with her having had joint pain for some years (she claims the gp told her they suspect its early rheumatiod but she never followed it up) but in truth for the last year all her life us about retiring and very little interests her. I think once i get full answers/treatment etc hopefully she will be a bit more supportive.

Kay.xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Kay

As it is presumably going to be quite a big celebration I would as you say, wait until you know more and most important of all, enjoy yourself. Put it behind you if you can for this weekend. Sometimes mums do get it a bit wrong, they don't know what to say, like many people, or it comes out all a bit pear-shaped. I am sure her mind is on other things at the moment
    as you say.I am sure in time she will be more sympathetic and may even start getting answers about her own health symptom.

You are doing all the right things though, as it is best to begin finding out, have tests and so on and then discuss options with the gp, consultant or rheumy nurse depending which way things are going.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm glad the blood test went well. I'd have the phlibo every time, rather than a doc and run a mile if a medical student is suggested!!!

As for the event, I'd keep fairly quiet, especially as you won't know for sure what the diagnosis is. When a doc says arthritis it could be one of a large number of types, all different and often needing different treatment. If anyone asks, I think it depends who it is, if you know them well, you may want to confide, but see how you feel about it at the time. I know its hard, I've found that sometimes if I've said arthritis, the person then starts to tell me all about theirs, the time they broke their leg and what the best treatment is. You can't get away!!! :)

Love Suexx