Humira treatment (injections)?

Options
lizzy100
lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
edited 11. Jul 2013, 17:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, i was wondering if anyone else is on, or has been on humira (adalinmumab) for arthritis? I got my first lot of injections two days ago, an my nurse (who ive had problems with) rang me the next day and said was i feeling better? I said I wasn't too bad, and she said well it cant be working because people normally ring me the next day and say they're feeling amazing!

so i was wondering how long it took to work for people? I think i might be slightly better today, but dont know, you have good days and bad days anyway dont you.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm on humira and have been since July 2010 (thirteen years after I began my PsA). I now understand that it is working (in conjunction with the injected meth) by controlling the inflammation to negligible measurements, and that is hopefully slowing any further joint damage. It is not, however, repairing the joint damage I already have thanks to far too little meds far too late. On a more positive note some on here who began humira a while ago no longer post because they are out there getting on with life because the drug has meant they can. I hope you will soon be included in their number. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi,

I started Humira about 10 weeks ago, it can take about 12 weeks to see any effect. For me, it has brought down my ESR levels a little but not enough for my DAS score to improve enough for further funding just yet.

I have heard that it does work & for a lot of people too. Please bear in mind, the 12 weeks, I think it is different for everyone in their response.

Hope it does start to work for you,

Janie xx
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Member Posts: 28
    Options
    I've been on Humira for just over a year now. I have RA. I too have had an improvement in my blood results since starting & also I'm glad to say in my joints but it certainly wasn't immediate although the bloods results were! I now feel I've gained the maximum benefit from Humira that I'm going to get, it's not perfect but it's a darn sight better than it was! It was definitely a gradual improvement over the year for the inflammation which has all but disappeared except on really bad days.
    I think your nurse is a bit optimistic with her outlook but Keep the faith & fingers crossed it will deliver for you too!

Purple
  • Buka
    Buka Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I started on Humira in September 2008 and although my blood tests improved I didn't really notice a difference until the following summer when I suddenly started to feel so much better. This lasted for the next 2 years until I had to stop taking it in order to have some surgery. when I went back on it for some reason it didn't seem to have any effect. The Rheumy took me off it and we tried an infusion last feb which didn't work either so I persuaded him to let me try the humira again. It seems to be having the desired result this time and my bloods are really good again. So I have my ups and downs with it but it is the only medication that has had really positive results some of the time. It has never happened instantly for me though so I think the Nurse needs to be more cautious when making statements like that as we are all very different.

Give it time and I hope it works really well for you!

Bukax