Crepitus in Knees

Options
19smp59
19smp59 Member Posts: 105
edited 12. Jul 2013, 03:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have crepitus in both knees, it is so loud I can hear it when I go up and down stairs, it sounds like velcro being pulled apart! Today they were really painful and I was struggling to walk down stairs. I had them xrayed about 4 years ago and was told there was no arthritis in them. Is it possible to have crepitus without arthritis? Anyone any ideas why the crepitus is so loud for any other reasons?

Suzanne

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Susanne

You made find your answer in this link:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa092500.htm

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks Elna that's very interesting. It seems to be saying that if there is pain then there is likely to be a problem, but then I wonder if it is possible for xrays to be wrong. I shall see how things go.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I have every sympathy. I too have crepitus and pain in both knees. In the past, I've also had swelling in my left knee which came up suddenly, but responded to ibuprofen. After an x-ray three years ago I was told that it was 'mild' arthritis, although some days it feels a darn sight more than 'mild' - especially, as you said, going up and down stairs. I'm afraid I don't know whether you can have crepitus without arthritis. The last time I was examined, the doctor was concerned about whether or not my knees were stable, which they were, so I continue to take paracetamol for the pain. As it's four years since your last x-ray - and you're in pain - perhaps it would be worth going back to your GP and asking him to review the situation?

Take care,

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My dad had knees that sounded like fire crackers every time he sat down and stood up and he didn't have arthritis of any sort. My knees and ankles are really loud, what with that and the crutches my days of creeping up behind someone and shouting 'Boo!' are long gone. :lol: I suspect that we are far more concsious of it than those around us but, if you haven't had an Xray for four years it may be time to request another, ask your GP about this and see what they say. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben