He wouldn't really?!

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 15. Jul 2013, 16:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm sitting outside a pet shop. Mr LV said he was going to buy a parrot (surely a joke?). He's been gone a while and I'm beginning to get VERY nervous that it wasn't a joke! He wouldn't would he?!
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Nothing men say or do would surprise me ,then again we all know what idiots they can be.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope not. You have enough on your plate with the babes and the current menagerie, you don't need a winged one who can pass on a nasty disease or two in their droppings. If I could cross my fingers he won't I would but I can't so won't. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Oooooh, has he come out of the pet shop yet? If he has bought a parrot, you could always sell them both as a package on *bay.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Oh dear! I hope not, LV. We once 'parrot sat' over Christmas. Basil was a real character but far messier even than my sons. He played at shredding Christmas cards and dropping half-eaten grapes out of his cage most of the week we had him. Never again!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Oh yes he would! Ned the red rump is chirping away at the back door. I am promised no pigeon fancier's lung or bird flu. Billie the cat thinks it's her Christmas present and I'm still in shock. Mr LV always kept birds as a kid so I have told him its all up to him...I think I'm still in shock, he'd best be a tidy bird and Mig, you are very right. A parrot! What will I do with a bl**dy parrot?!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Learn it too talk LV :oops: sorry, I couldn't resist, definitely let him look after it clean it out feed it etc, although it will be interesting to see if it does talk it picks up the girls jibberings, good luck missus as if you haven't enough on your plate, hope you are all well..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    It's not a Norwegian Blue, then? :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am still lost for words. Utterly bereft of wordage. I hope that you are OK with this, I don't think I would be. DD
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I'm consoling myself with the fact that it isn't a furry rodent of some description. He did once threaten gerbils so a parrot kind of seems like a better option. It also chirps rather than shriek so there is another bonus and it will take time for it to be trained enough to be allowed out for a fly around the house...my heart and soft furnishings shudder at the thought of that. I think the girls and I will take the dogs out at that point. I do keep being told it's mine but that's like when he suggested he buy me a big tv for my birthday before letting slip that he squinted at the screen when I asked why he thought I might want a big tv!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh, that is such a bloke thing, they buy stuff under the pretence that we want it. Rot. Anyhoo, you have it under your roof so make sure that he is the one who cares for it. I think you hands are already full, no? DD

PS To my way of thinking the image of a bird flying round the house is horrific - they belong in the sky, that is their natural home.
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    That's my biggest problem with it too...I don't think birds live in cages and I think it's quite sad seeing him in his cage. I'm definitely not doing any of the caring, certainly not after I've been given chapter and verse on bird care and birds Mr LV used to own. If he's the expert...!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How are things on the bird front, LV? Has the novelty worn off? DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options
    Hello LV
    how are you and the parrot getting on how old is he.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    So far Ned is spending the day time in his cage in the back yard as its warm enough. He seems to be calming down (phew) and is more settled and less flighty (no pun intended). Mr LV still insists he is my parrot and that he only does the caring because I don't want to stick my hands in the cage... surely that suggests I never wanted a pet parrot?! I bought it a mirror which seems to entertain it and it appears to be conversing with the cockatoo which spends its days in a garden over the road. Ned is 6 months old apparently. I think I'm still in a bit of shock that there's no a parrot in the house but at least so far it is none of my responsibility! Something tells me that will probably change but I keep walking away when Mr LV starts giving me lessons on care, ignorance being my best form of defence I reckon!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Why this insistence that it's yours? Could it indicate a slightly guilty concscience? DD
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    :shock:

I bet the cats having a party .We had to re-home our budgie as tiggy tiger decided to pull the cage off of a very tall cupboard :shock:
    I Panicked grabbed the cage and there was the budgies under all of the sand paper :lol: .I was sure it would have frightened him to death .

Fowls
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I think the insistence that Ned belongs to me is an attempt to reduce the risk of me kicking off. I shan't but hopefully at some point I might be able to bring a lovely handbag home and insist it belongs to him on the same basis?

As for Billie the cat, her neighbour cat, Wednesday, had always been an arch enemy but they have put their differences to one side and can regularly be found watching bird TV together. Luckily we shan't have an incident like yours Fowls because Billie hasn't quite got the hang of her predator role and is more likely to bring her favourite prey of fallen feathers than chase their owner!