Psoriatic arthritis question AND got my THR date :-O

Options
mellivenelli
mellivenelli Member Posts: 38
edited 14. Jul 2013, 17:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys

I've only posted once before here but just wanted to tell you that my date for my left hip to be replaced and it's 28th September! i have my pre op on 10th september.

absolutely bricking it comes to mind.

I've also had an appointment with a Rheumatologist this week who took a truckload of blood and is going to get back to me.

It appears i have him puzzled and am a complex case! seemed to be querying Psoriatic arthritis as well as my Osteoarthritis! I hadn't considered it to be honest. He asked if I had a family history of psoriasis which i have but I said i didnt have it. However on coming home i started thinking and had a look and have had a breakout of red lumps on my left leg, palms of my hands, and on my scalp! I'm just wondering if i should ring them back this week and mention it or not?

Please advise me i'm clueless lol.

thank you

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have PsA plus OA, I began with the auto-immune one but as that went undiagnosed for far too long (even the scalp psoriasis was mis-diagnosed) the resulting joint damage has led to OA in both ankles, both knees, my right hip and now my left hip is grumbling. If I was offered surgery of any sort the surgeon would have to be replaced as his hand would be bitten off in my eagerness. :wink: And yes, ring the rheumatology unit tomorrow and explain about the red lumps; I get those too.

You won't be the first to have a new hip and won't be the last but we all know it is a big deal. To my mind a new joint means less pain and greater mobility (but only after the recuperation is done and dusted). The main thing is to get your muscles on both sides in as good a shape as possible so that your recovery will be more straightforward. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellivenelli
    mellivenelli Member Posts: 38
    Options
    thanks dream daisy!

on reflection i've had the red lumps for a while but just thought it was a worsening of my eczema! I had a good look at the ones i can see and i have been furiously itchy there and skin is very sore.

I know I am lucky to be getting my THR but am scared at the same time. Just something i never thought i'd ever have. Am stressing but trying to keep a level head and think of the benefits in the long term.

I have multiple allergies, asthma and eczema as well as achilles tendinopathy so i know my immune system is hypersensitive, but i've found my gp to be quite dismissive and i've had to fight to be referred for any help!

I hope you get sorted sometime soon dreamdaisy xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sorted? Oh, that boat was long missed (I think it passed at my birth). :wink: Chronic asthma and eczema wrecked my childhood, I too have mulitple intolerances but one of the few benefits of the immuno-suppressants is that they now rarely bother me. Things kicked off arthritis-wise in 1997 but wasn't until October 2006 that the PsA diagnosis was given. It made no difference to the meds I was taking. I find that my daily diclofenac helps my Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis, at the moment the heat is not suiting the PsA, roll on the end of the heatwave so the OA rules once more - I prefer that one as I know where I am. :)

I hope you will be able to keep your focus on the positive - apparently one can change one's outlook within weeks if one continues to focus on that side. All dilemmas have at least two faces but it seems sensible to concentrate on the sunnier ones. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Can't help with the PsA but you are bound to be scared about the THR...all ops are scary.....Its the unknown :wink: By the time you get to your date if you stay online and ask questions....you'll be an expert :lol:
    I've had one {lots of others have as well} about 3 and a half yrs ago....they are now talking about doing the 2nd one...just talking about it :roll:

Love
    Hileena