Advice for a new mum - prams etc.

Options
elanormcadam
elanormcadam Member Posts: 6
edited 16. Jul 2013, 11:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I am 29 and a half weeks pregnant and getting myself organised for the arrival of our little one- due at end of September. I've been looking at different prams and wondered if anyone has any tips or recommendations? My wrists can get quite bad so I know something easy to manoeuvre is important. And any other later pregnancy/ new mum tips are also very welcome!
Thanks,
Elanor

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's a long time since I was in your situation so I googled 'prams for disabled parents' and what looked to be a useful page on Mumsnet came up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Elanor

First of all welcome to the forum and congratulations. Not so long now then ;) Looking back at past postings on prams the Bugaboo Bee seemed popular but that was in 2008 and things change all the time in the pram world! You could do what I did and click on the Search button at the top of the page and type in prams and see if you find anything of help there.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Look at Mountain Buggy/ Phil and Ted prams (they're the same brand really). Mine is a Mountain Buggy and it's so easy to manoeuvre plus it has some magical balance thing which means it goes up and down curbs really easily...it's as effortless as it gets which isn't bad for a twin pram and the larger wheels mean you can be quite clumsy which I was once the arthritis started again and the meds hadn't kicked in. I struggle to hold my two as my wrists hurt so I do use a sling lots (baby bjorn are well padded, I've tried a few brands). Also on the wrist front, if you're bottle feeding consider the shape and size of that too, I really struggled with Tommy Tippee as they are quite squat and getting the lids off is a nightmare. I found MAM were easiest to hold but consider that if you look at them. If you live on two floors then have a changing mat on each floor, miles easier than lots of trips up and downstairs. If you at all have back problems then either bathe on a table or pop them in the bath with you, more fun and less strain, I nearly cried trying to lean over baths holding babies. Consider clothes which pull on and off, endless undoing and fastening of poppers is murder after a while on sore hands.
    Have a good rest of pregnancy and enjoy your little one when it arrives. If you need anymore arthritis related baby ideas then feel free to message me.
    LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • buffycat
    buffycat Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Elanor....

Firstly...congratulations on your lovely news!

I have two little girls, aged 3 and 2.....so it wasn't too long ago that I was in your shoes. When I was expecting my first, I knew that my symptoms would subside whilst pregnant, so on a day which I had a flare up (last one before she was born) I made a brave decision to go pram shopping. The shop we went to in Walsall was great....so friendly and helpful. We explained our situation and they went through every pram in the shop.....it was painful! However, we soon narrowed it down to 2....the bugaboo, and the maxi-cosy Streety. The bugaboo was lovely (though exepnsive) but when it came to pressing the side buttons to lift off the carrycot, it was just far too painful. We went with the Streety, and it has been brilliant.

It has a pushchair, car seat and carrycot, and there are no extra adapters, folding is very easy, and the buttons to take the car seat (or pushchair or carrycot) stay in when you press them, so that you just have to lift them off. It folds really small, is quite light when folded, and has a one bar handle (that was one of my musts as I couldn't guarantee that both hands would be good). Some car seats are very heavy too....the Streety seat was nice and light.

I stuck with my Streety for my second little one, and have no regrets with it. I was also lucky enough to be chosen to be a tester for a pushchair.....I got the maxi-cosy Noa......another nifty little pushchair....easy fold, very lightweight, and the recline was a zip fastening (there are all sorts of reclining mechanisms out there!)

Other tips......
    1. if it is an option....try and have a water birth....lovely and supportive on your joints.....very relaxing too
    2. baby bath......my baby bath actually sits on top of our main bath (rather than on the floor)....nice any easy on the back etc. we got that from Mothercare.

One other thing to maybe think about is if you are planning to feed baby yourself. I had never even thought about it until after my first was born, but we did, and along with the benefits to baby, there were benefits to me in that my symptoms stayed away until she was about 1. Obviously I couldn't take any meds during this time, but the fact that I wasn't on any meant that I didn't have to delay waiting to try for a baby all over again.

Many say that pregnancy and feeding baby are perfect ways at keeping symptoms away....and for me that is very true! However, my youngest is now 2....and although she still has one feed from me, my symptoms are flaring up horribly at the moment......as soon as I stop feeding her, I will be back at my Rheumy asking for help!

One other thing.....never be afraid to ask for help.....whether your joints are painful, or because you have a new little baby. It is a truly magical time with lovely memories......enjoy it all.....

Take care...
    x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your impending arrival! :) I'm not a mum but I have nannied lots of children and experienced a multitude of prams. The Baby Jogger City Mini is by the far the best - lightweight and easy to steer and fold etc. Before you choose anything, go into a big department store and try them all out. If the price range is too high, (and some of them probably cost more than my car!) then when you've found the right one, have a google for some of auction sites, freecycle etc - you'll be amazed what you can find on there for low prices in good condition. All the best of luck!