The white queen

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 18. Jul 2013, 08:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
Has anyone else been watching this ? Nobody can do costume dramas like the BBC .I have books by a different author but basically dramatised history ,my sort of reading.This is going on my amxxon wish list. Mig

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We haven't been watching because we're doing The Retruned on Channel4 which is seriously weird but compelling. I like the costume stuff but 'im indoors is left cold by it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I am watching because I have read her books and also Alison Weirs books and I'm interested in history. The story is very complicated (So many Edwards)! I'm sure many people are finding it difficult to follow.

I'd like to have seen more background to the characters, they all seem to have appeared from nowhere, instead of going back to Edward III as a common link.

There has been criticism of the modern speech 'sorry for your loss' etc but its not too bad and I've spotted a few changes to her book but on the whole it is enjoyable to watch, especially Max Irons. :D

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I read somewhere that they filmed a fair bit of it in Belgium - keep an eye open for drainpipes, handrails, rubber-soled boots and the occasional street sign as they have all been spotted by eagle-eyed viewers. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I've been recording it but haven't watched it yet, I assume it's good?

I have been watching a history of Briton with Simon Sharma, I think that's his name.
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've sort of half-watched it but life keeps intervening :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    I do watch it, but keep losing track of the family lines!! I also read that it was filmed in Belgium - shame when there are so many beautiful old villages in this country!!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I've watched it but starting to lose track. I think the next one is the last episode so hope I can keep up till then. Yes, it's a pity they filmed so much in Belgium. It should have been done here in Britain.
    Christine
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I don't mind where it was filmed,I don't mind the little mistakes its my sort of thing ,I have a whole bookshelve of historical dramas both factual and romantic .Mig
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Yes I feel lost at times and I have read many books on the subject! Think I will watch it again on iplayer to look for those rubber-soled boots.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm watching it but am disappointed by how much Philippa Gregory has manipulated history to suit her story. I suppose my problem is that I'm reading The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman which is also historical fiction but set around the same period in history. I'm trying to keep ahead of The White Queen but I'm a slow reader and the drama sometimes skips important pieces and people in the book I'm reading. I, too, become confused. :?

(I wish the film makers could see inside my head to know which actors to use when selecting the cast, at least they'd know what they should look like :wink::lol::lol: )

I shall continue watching and reading!

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'