Basil D'Olovera

Options
numptynora
numptynora Member Posts: 782
edited 16. Jul 2013, 05:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
Okay, I know I spelt it wrong! I watched a documentary about him last night, in relation to his struggle with apartheid, I'm in no way a cricket fan but I found myself cursing at the television, at how the MCC bowed to the SA government dictating to them about who they would deny entry into the country, what a regime it was.

It made me grateful I come from this country!!
Numps x
Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    How often have you written that name in your lifetime? :wink: My attempt is D'Oliveira - we need Sticky to check our efforts.

I remember the apartheid system and how ghastly it was. I think I recall a ban being called on importing and buying South African goods, and wasn't Barclay's Bank boycotted too? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    I followed his career closely, he was a very good all rounder and also a gentleman.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I agree, rondetto. An all-round good egg.

Thumbs up for your spelling, DD, though he usually just got 'Dolly'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Dolly? Crikey. Please tell me that he walked on to the pitch hearing a resounding chorous of 'Hello, Dolly, well hello, Dolly . . . ' and if not, why not? DD

PS Speling iznt orl itz craked up two bee and arz is verry trikkee.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    See......I knew I'd spelt it wrong...lol

He certainly was a gentleman and worked so hard to be the best at his chosen career. I remember the sanctions re SA, it went on for what seemed for ever. I had dealings (through work) with a couple of people that had to come back from SA, they had nothing good to say about the 'blicks' over there but I used to think it wasn't their country to start off with, IMHO it was their inhuman ways that led to most of the trouble there between the 'blicks' and the 'whites'
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.