Stench.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. Jul 2013, 15:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
We have one helluva smell hanging around the entire area - I think the local farmers have been spreading muck, the really stinky smelly muck which, due to the heat, is giving off an humungous PONG of YUCK. It's time to close the windows and thus start giving off my humungous pong of yuck. :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    we have a farmer 3 miles from here who sprays pig s**t on the land and Jesus it honks, they should treat it so it doesn't smell you can also get drills that pump the stuff under the soil as the tractor goes along but I've never seen one here and the council don't care about the stink, if you or I got a big vat of dog s**t and let it ferment in the back garden and then spread it around as fertiliser the council would come down on you like a tonne of bricks but farmers can do whatever they want, we also get infested with flies that feed of the stuff but again the council say "they don't know where they are coming from". Well it ain't rocket science to work out if they feed of s**t its probably the farm up the road?.
    Sorry rant over!.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    The 'pong' I get the most is from the distillery just along the road at least I can get a cheap fix from it :D xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Mell, mate, calm down dear. :wink: As we don't live too far away from an agricultural area will mean that we are troubled by noxiousness every now and again but this effort was particularly stinky.

Ooh Marie, a distillery? (Now that has to be one of the better words in our vocabulary, brewery isn't far behind. :wink: ) It has now eased but probably because the temperature has dropped by one or two degrees. I kinda live in the country so it's part-and-parcel, but on one of the hottest days of the year it does seem a tad unreasonable. Maybe the farmers can't smell it? DD

PS Hopefully they can't smell me. :lol:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    There are fields round the corner from my house so every now and again, it pongs round here too.

Sorry, Mellman, couldn't help giggling at your post. :lol:
    Christine
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I am sitting here this evening with the delightful odour of fishy cat food. I love my little princess, however :shock:

I spend a fortune, burning essential oils, lighting candles and using plug ins. My dilemma is totally self inflicted, so I have no right to complain, unlike your situation DD. However, it is slightly closer.

If you clean the area, and put down a new cat food bowl, she demands it filled with food, so when she goes out and comes back it smells of her, in 'her' corner. I should charge rent! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, rambling on about myself, I sympathise with those suffering from stinks. :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    There was a right whiff down at husband's work tonight :roll: I thought it was him - so it must be muck spreading season....phew :oops:

Suzy Daisycat prefers whiffy food too she loves smelly cat treats :D

I hope the aroma has dwindled for you a little tomorrow DD :D

love

Toni xx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    There are regulations governing spreading of muck, in terms of time between spreading and ploughing in, which are supposed to minimise problems, but of course if a different area is done each day that doesn't help much. Ironically it's quite possible that the current high temps and dry conditions are lessening the duration of the nuisance - dry poo tends not to smell as much as wet and is not of so much interest to the flies either - but if it's also preventing the breakdown in the soil then it could get whiffy again when(if!) it rains.
    There used to be an indoor pig unit near my allotment and it wasn't nice when they did the periodic clearout between batches of animals, and even less pleasant when other plotholders had stinking piles of the stuff delivered to manure their plots.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Sorry DD its the heat that's shortened me fuze!, if you drive into Wallingford from the industrial estate end you get a right old chemical pong, its some kind of Zylene kind of solvent smell and you can detect it all the way down by the houses that are next to the place but God knows what it is but I wouldn't be happy living with it it ain't right at all.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    When I was growing up we lived not far from Shipstones brewery and a five minute walk to the Eno soap works when they were "brewing "up the stink was horrendous ,grandad used to say " puts hairs on yer chest". Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    All is sweetly-scented tonight, me included. 8) DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I'm currently suffering from a smell problem thanks to the council policy of alternate week waste collections.I had chicken and fish last week, and as it has been a trifle warm the rubbish bags are maturing nicely at the bottom of the wheelie bin, together with hundreds of maggots.As the bin is almost as big as me I can't now reach the bags to double wrap them and neither can I clean inside once the bin is emptied next Tuesday. In the meantime every time I walk out my front door I am reminded of last week's meals - and not in a good way!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hmm, my neighbours on both sides have the same trouble. All three of their bins are utterly disgusting, swarming with flies and stinking to high heaven. If we have potentially 'smelly' waste I dispose of it in a public waste bin, or if things are bad, I wash it thoroughly before bagging. (My Ma was the one who taught me that habit.) I have no quibble with fortnightly rubbish collections and have never had maggots in any of the bins (but earwigs are a nuisance in the garden & veg waste one). In my view I still have a weekly waste collection, and since the advent of the recycling bins my black one is generally less than a third full.

Do you have a 'grabber'? They are useful for rescuing all sorts of things from all sorts of places. I used to employ a carving knife to get the kitchen rolls down from the top of the cupboard (still their only storage place) buit now the grabber does that. It also rescues my car keys from the wheelie bins - Daisy is parked next to the bins and I must change the habit of holding her keys whilst doing the disposing: it's only been four years. Yup, I'm a slow learner. :) DD