Snails.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 22. Jul 2013, 12:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
They are rather cute, sliding around carrying their little homes but only when in the garden. I have a kitchen snail. :shock: I think he's attended a Mission Impossible course on gaining illicit entry to a room because, despite seeing the 'evidence' on various surfaces there is no 'evidence' as to how he got there. I can only conclude he's abseiled down somehow, crawled around where he shouldn't really be and then retracted back to HQ (wherever HQ may be). Last night's target was the oven gloves which were left on the hob. They are in the washing machine and the hob will be cleaned later. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It might have done a Trojan Horse in lettuce?
    I seem to remember reading ages ago about how some folks in tropical climes(might have been Australia) found that molluscs - in this case I think slugs - were good at cleaning algae and mould off shower enclosures, so perhaps you could try letting Mr Snail clean the hob for you?( although I admit that a final wipe down with something to remove the inevitable output might be necessary)
    My mother was occasionally somewhat aggrieved to find that snails could and would access her 1st floor balcony up the outside of the building to get at her plants in tubs, but couldn't help admiring the determination to keep going over the harling(rough-cast coating), which must have been uncomfortable and used lots of slime. One night when I was staying with her I looked out and could see them on the move - bizarre.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Maybe you could put up a web cam and do some late night recording to find out where the feckers hiding DD?.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    That's a good idea Mellman,I'm still laughing ,could put it on crime watch. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is the most astonishing thing, the oven gloves were left on the hob and had a lovely slime trail down one side but nowt anywhere else. Not a suasage. I tried all sorts of angles (even got a torch too) but not one trail other than on the glove. What shall I leave on the hob tonight? Nothing, methinks. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    DD maybe it was looking for the pan and the garlic butter :lol: xx

(web cams and crime watch this is one of the reasons why I love this forum :lol::lol: )
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    :shock: I hadn't thought of that. I'll leave those out tonight, together with a match so he can light the gas. :wink: Breakfast, yum-yum. :D
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hey you haven't got any plants in pots in the window have you DD?, if so it could well be a slug, those feckers hide in the soil during the day then come out for tiffin when its dark.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,122
    Options
    mig wrote:
    That's a good idea Mellman,I'm still laughing ,could put it on crime watch. Mig

'Slimewatch' :D . (No-one was going to stoop to that pun, ah well luckily I have no such scruples).

Re snail, see if it can 'walk' a sheet of rice paper and leave no trace.. then you'll know you have a Kung Fu snail 8) or slug as the case may be.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Slime watch :lol::lol::lol: That is so funny Toady :lol:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Slimewatch. :lol::lol:

I occasionally find trails across small sections of work top but can't see where they've come from. Mine are slugs because I've actually caught 2 of them. Yuk yuk yuk.
    Christine
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    X SAS that snail trained him myself although I never did use an oven glove
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good thinking Mel, I have two Chinese Lucky Bamboos in the kitchen window (yup, they've worked a treat, haven't they? :roll: ) but as they are encased in china and glass I can't see them being the attraction. Mr DD is one helluva messy cook, it could be the food scraps that might be enticing but surely snails etc don't eat bits of onion, garlic or ginger. :? Anyhoo I did tread on one with my right bare foot early Sunday morning, so maybe the problem is solved. YUK.

A snail? :shock: Oh gawd, I hope not, I really hope not. And as for Slime Watch - somebody needs a spank for that pun! :wink:

Hello Colin, long time no read. So, you're a snail trainer? Oooh! DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    If it's slugs DD they can squeeze through very small gaps - under outside doors and alongside drainage/water pipes are classic places(look in the undersink cupboard?)
    Mention of treading on one brought back memories of the rather primitive terrace houses my sisters occupied in Manchester where nocturnal treks to the toilet(outside) were given added excitement by the legions of large black slugs which used to hold parties on the kitchen floor once it got dark. I suppose at least they weren't cockroaches....