How can you tell the difference between a flare and pain?

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The one thing that frustrates me a great deal is that when Mr DD isn't well he feels he can't complain. We have had one or two heart-to-hearts over the years (I find that men don't talk too easily about the more serious sides of life) and he has remarked that he can't moan because, compared to what I deal with, he feels as though he shouldn't. Twerp. Mine has occasional blasts of gout in his big toes and doesn't tell me - I've now learned to listen for the limp. He was truly taken aback a few days ago when I said that I am in pain all the time. (He is aware of it but forgets.) He said 'But you don't tell me you are,' to which I replied 'Why would I? What can you do about it? It's my trouble, and so indirectly yours, but I'm not going to bang on about it.' And I don't because it's very boring. OK, I have arthritis but many people don't - I thank whoever for here where arthritis is never a boring topic. :)

It could be that your chap's knees are hurting; did you know that men have more pain receptors than women and thus they feel pain more keenly? Understanding someone else's pain is very hard, especially when we are dealing with it on a daily basis, so it's best just to give sympathy, a hug or two and pass them the dullers. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Louise,

I think you should be aware there are no professional experts who post on here. The people who do post on this site are people with experience.
    Your doctor meets you face to face and discusses your problems and
    conditions and suggests remedies therefor with you.It is an actual relationship. What you read on here is a cyber relationship. It is a group of anonymous posters giving details of their experiences .
  • MelanieC
    MelanieC Member Posts: 5
    Options
    There is some great information here and I just wanted to add my tuppence worth: I have severe OA in knees and feet. I had a sort of background pain and stiffness for years, but it was a 'flare' in my knee pain which led my GP to take this seriously enough to get it investigated properly for a formal diagnosis (and rule out RA). It wasn't until I saw the consultant that I understood that I probably had OA for years, and that 'flares' (ie where the pain is intense and constant, and maybe associated with the joint locking or failing) start when the OA is getting severe. He wondered why it was that he only saw severe OA, when management should start much earlier and I told him that basically, it's dismissed as anything to deal with until the pain is quite bad. My knee flare stopped after a couple of months and I had some physio lessons, which helped, but my other knee is in flare now and has been for nearly 3 months. As someone who hates taking medication, I struggle to take my painkillers to stay on top of it, but needs must. When I first started, I had to go back to get lanzoprasole to deal with my upset stomach, and then lactulose to deal with the constipation, but you also get canny about timing of food and things to avoid eating too.

My own definition for the difference between a flare and not is that on a day to day basis, my knee joints may be stiff and painful, movement limited, but some of the pain and stiffness wears off when I do gentle range of motion exercises, walk a little or do a dance warm-up, and I can choose not to take painkillers so that the pain can guide me as to how much is too much. In a flare, the pain is severe, constant, gentle range of motion exercises may stop it for, ooh, five minutes and then it comes back, and painkillers are necessary. The pain leaves me fatigued, but the painkillers send me to sleep, so either way, I know I'm going to be low on energy.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Melanie;

Was the consultant you saw an orthopedist? There seems to be a contradiction if the consultants are telling patients they are not being referred early enough for OA (and rheumatic diseases too it seems) and yet GPs are downplaying arthritic symptoms and not referring early enough. It seems to be a repeating theme, I've noticed. Seems like the two groups of doctors need to get together for a chat......

xxAnna
  • destiny0321
    destiny0321 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi i have PsA &OA i have had these conditions 30yrs i am 58 now.
    i am in constant pain always had it worse in my left leg but now right knee getting as bad as well as my shoulders & arms had 2 knee replacements both in left leg but no good i now have compartment syndrome because of the operation going wrong. i am taking
    NAPROXEN 500MG
    FOLIC ACID 5MG
    CO CODAMOL 30/500MG
    DIPIPANONE/CYCLIZINE 10MG/30MG PLUS OTHER MEDICATION FOR DIABETES,ASTHMA
    also METHOTREXATE 2.5MG 5 X SUNDAY, 5 X MONDAY.KEEP GOING EVERYONE destiny
  • MelanieC
    MelanieC Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi - sorry, spaced out recently! I guess strictly speaking they are orthopaedic surgeons that I see for consultations! I think there is some conversation needed and not just between them and the GPs. When I was seeing a physio for my knee OA (as I'm not a candidate for surgery, desite its severity!) we were discussing my impending cheilectomy (this was some months ago) and he was relieved I was refusing to have the big toe joint fused. It seems to be a treatment of choice, but I now know at least one physio who considers that it causes more problems than it solves. Now I've been referred back to (a different) physio as the cheilectomy hasn't had the required effect of giving back flexibility in the joint. The first two sessions of wobble board exercises etc were far too tough on my knees and now both are in flare. Physio is now hydrotherapy. I'm supposed to be restarting teaching after half term and at the mo, don't know how I'm going to manage!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    It will certainly be tough trying to teach while things are so bad. At least you are having some good physio and hydro which should, eventually help. Maybe a word with your head-teacher to arrange what sort of measures can be put in place to help you at school?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright