The Case of Daniel Pelka.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Aug 2013, 14:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
I don't know about you but when I heard the details of what that poor little lad endured I felt sick to my stomach. Now we hear that what passed for a mother is to spend at least thirty years in jail, her male partner too. Woo-hoo. We get to pay to keep them locked up (in more comfort than Daniel was allowed), they will be given regular meals of proper food, given access to recreational activities, bouts of fresh air etc etc etc. On the plus side prisoners have their own code and those who abuse children are always at risk of attack from others; no doubt more money will spent keeping these two cruel examples of humanity safe. :roll:

I don't often advocate a punishment fitting a crime (crime happens for so many reasons and there but for the grace of whatever go I) but I feel that this (and its forerunners) are cases apart. This was deliberate, planned and zealously maintained cruelty. Why have another public enquiry? What good will that achieve? We've had them before and yet this abuse happens - there may well be more than one rather 'unsettled' set of parents or guardians who will briefly mend their ways, then 'normal' service will resume. Daniel's name has been added to one of the saddest of all roll calls. And his won't be the last. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh DD our words exactly why on earth should we pay to keep these ..cant say animals they wouldn't do this to there own) This poor little mite was let down by so many...once again people were scared of speaking out....he was the weight of an 18 month old baby....sorry I just cant say anymore I am in tears here bless his soul he is out of it now...
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    DD you have echoed so many people's feelings.What goes around comes around.
    I just wanted to wrap my arms round him and give him some love.Mig
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not a child person but reading that story even made me feel sad, at least now he is where he can't suffer any more.

BLESS HIS LITTLE SOUL
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm not naturally maternal, numptynora, but I was a teacher and find children's development interesting. The depravity of these two, however, leaves me speechless. After Victoria Clombié, Baby P et al the fact that this has happened with no intervention is sickening beyond belief. As a teacher if I had seen a child scavenging in bins for food I would have been on the alert for other signs of distress in his behaviour. He must have had bruises - how were they missed in PE etc?

I saw an interview with a Polish grandmother (maternal? paternal? I don't know 'cos I came in late to it) and all she could do was blame the authorities over here - apparently it's all our fault. Grudgingly I have to admit she may have a valid point. DD
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    This case has really upset me. I was a teacher, too and we would certainly have been asking questions about any unexplained bruising. For a child to be picking food up off the floor and losing weight at such a rate - well, I just can't understand how it could have been missed.

However, at the end of the day the only people to blame are the so-called carers. I don't know how they can live with themselves.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think the answer to that lies in their complete indifference to events: the judge mentioned that not once have they expressed any form of remorse. They lack morality, end of. I wonder how they were failed by their parents - or if indeed they were? DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
    Options
    Hello DD
    I haven't got any children.but I think the people who saw baby Daniel were too frightened to tell anyone.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    i'm so angry the parents just talked their way out of it. If the mother said her Son had an eating disorder then maybe the school needed to check this was true. I know this is not standard procedure as my Daughter regularly has to see a consultant about her bowel issues and I do not have to show the school any medical letters but maybe we should.

I keep hoping this will be the last in the news but lessons never seem to get learned.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello DD
    I haven't got any children.but I think the people who saw baby Daniel were too frightened to tell anyone.
    take care
    joan xx

Joan you have probably hit the nail on the head.

I believe the kind of people who are responsible for this kind of activity are very very scary individuals. Chances are anyone in their orbit would have been worried, but too frightened of them.

Elizabeth - I show school any updated info regards my kids' heal needs so they can react accordingly. I think you are right schools should ask. 4 is very young....the age when a child may well still have the support of health visitors etc.

Bless his soul, DD is right he will, sadly, not be the last.

I think all we can do as individuals is to take care of those we love and report anything we are concerned if we see it. The NSPCC take anonymous referrals.

Love

Toni xx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    My understanding is that schools are limited in what they can do. If concerns are reported then the case becomes the responsibility of Social Services, not the school, and that is where it falls apart. There are just not enough social workers to physically cover the number of cases they are responsible for.