How do you get along with cyclist's

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 12. Aug 2013, 09:42 in Community Chit-chat archive
I was driving at 30 mph turning left into a side street off an A Road.
Anyway, I indicated, slowed to take the corner, then suddenly a cyclist tried to undertake me on the inside. Even on a bike he must have been doing 30 mph, hit the kerb, and started waving his arms about as though it was my fault.
If I was on a bike there is no way I would try this manoeuvre unless the car was indicating right, not left like I was. I'm not against cyclist's but this guy nearly got hit. Whatdoyouthink. Alanthemanc

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Cyclists are as variable in their road skills as motorists. Some are daredevils (usually male) others obey the rules of the road (usually female). I rode a bike in London and loved it because the traffic was so slow you were fine to whizz down the nearside. I was knocked off once my a passenger leaping off the platform at the back of a proper Londond bus. That was apparently my fault, I shouldn't have been in the cycle lane. :roll:

Around here there are many dedicated cycle lanes but they still prefer to use the road. I prefer to stay behind them as they plough up a hill and I won't overtake until there's enough room for me to give them a very wide berth. I remember my cycling days with fondness and I also remember my invisibility to the average motorist, despite my always wearing a fluorescent vest. Rest assured, if a cyclist is knocked off their bike it will always be the motorist to blame, even if they are cycling through red lights. What amazes me is how many ride in the dark with no lights. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    In Brighton we are overrun with cycle lanes , ( green council ) , unfortunately the majority of cyclists prefer to ride in the roads . How about spot fines for bike users who ride on the road ? If cycle lanes are provided then cyclists should be obliged to use them .
    Jillyb
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Where I am they are a definite hazard, they (most) will insist on coming out of a side road having seen a car approaching and don't stop, just following the kerb round so you have to swerve to miss them, of course it's your fault for being in the way!!

If the cyclists followed the rules of the road like others do it wouldn't be a problem but they seem to think the road is just for their soul use. As DD says, if they are knocked off their bike it IS your fault.
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Oh Numpty I so agree I dont have a car but even as a pedestrian your not safe from them they are either on the pavement or if they are on the road they dont believe in stopping for red traffic lights while people cross they will just weave around you .
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Turbogran
    Options
    Forgot also today a lot of our roads are closed because we have the ride for london cycle event on the buses that run along the end of my road which i use a lot having no car are not running today so i'm sort of stuck indoors unless i walk which is hard for me as i can't go too far walking.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    scary Alan but definately not your fault. I think many cyclists are so used to riding up on the inside but really they need to be very aware of left turning cars as it does happen often :roll: :roll:

I know my OH, who rides a scooter, has had a few near misses when overtaking on the outside in slow moving traffic but did once get hit by a car that suddenly decided to pull into the outside lane (presumabely without looking) while traffic had come to a standstill.

I've had a few cyclists shake their fists at me and I still don't know what I did wrong!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    I worry about them!!

I know how vulnerable they are (like motorcyclists Elizabeth), but some of them do do silly things. Like we do in cars but we are a tad safer I suppose.

Yesterday driving in France we were busy watching out for a cyclist when another van hit and knocked our wing mirror off (they cost £100's and the van is 7 months old).

When we could stop and safely turn round, there was the cyclist having picked up the bits, bless him, for us and we have been able to sort of put it back together. Nice man :)

Love

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    All the time that cyclists are not looked after better by the laws of this land I will side with them, they do not have the acceleration or braking power that a car has neither are they, in general, given any special consideration at junctions, lights, roundabouts or dual carriageways to name but a few places of danger.

I am a cyclist, motorcyclist and a car, van and lorry driver in my time. If cyclists are not made aware of the dangers on our roads is that their fault? At least drivers get some education!
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Not as if cyclists are prevented from reading the highway code is it ? They should follow the rules of the road for their own safety and that of other road users .
    Jillyb
  • Turbogran
    Options
    jillyb1 wrote:
    Not as if cyclists are prevented from reading the highway code is it ? They should follow the rules of the road for their own safety and that of other road users .
    Jillyb

So true Jilly including the pedestrians who have to cross the road too
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I witnessed an absolute gem of an incident today. The lights were red, the cars had stopped, a male cyclist pootling along sees a pretty girl and turns his head to watch her as she walks past. Then there's a bang because he's ridden into the back of the last car in the queue at the lights. Cyclist going 'Ow! Ow! Ow!', incensed driver shouting 'If you're blind you shouldn't be riding a bike!' and there's me in fits of laughter. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben