Psoriasis on head - any tips?

DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 18. Sep 2016, 10:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I have been suffereing quite badly from psoriasis on my scalp and its awful, I have been given dobnovet gel from my GP which does help occasionaly, but was wondering if there are shampoo's to use or avoid?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I had this when my PsA was first beginning, since taking the sulph and meth it's not been a trouble on the scalp. Get some sun on your bonce and it maybe an idea to avoid any highly scented shampoos etc. TGel is supposedly good for delicate scalps, I think Nutrogena do a specialst one too but I used baby shampoo. I was given some coal-tar based products by the hospital but I didn't like them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

Even on 30mg mtx I still get it on my scalp, stubborn plaques :?
    I've always used Cocois Scalp Ointment & Coaltar shampoo. I'd put the cocois on over night to soften the plaques & then try to remove as many plaques as possible. Then I'd wash out the cocois with the coaltar shampoo. I've done that on & off for years.

I honestly don't know wots available over the counter as I'm always prescribed my topicals by my dermatologist. I burn using many treatments so there are probably more that can treat it a lot quicker & easier than the ones I use.

Best of luck.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I had psoriasis on my scalp at one time and my elbow.....thankfully it has
    gone slightly {unless I get very stressed} I was given a coal tar shampoo and that's all I remember to be honest......I have OA {don't have PsA...as far as I know :? }
    Love
    Hileena
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 242
    Hello DebraKelly My doctor prescribed a shampoo for me to use twice a week. In fact I now only use once a week. It certainly helped me so why don't you ask next time you go - he also told me to avoid using perfume or too soapy shampoos. OK sometimes I wish I could use a lovely smelling shampoo and shower stuff but I have got used to it now. I also use in between docs shampoo an olive oil shampoo from B Shop and that is good for me. Really its just a matter of trying different stuff and I always buy the smallest bottle I can in case it does not work. Good Luck x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi debrakelly
    i to suffer with psoriasis on my scalp not very nice,
    my doctor prscribed me with NIZORAL2% shampoo
    ive been useing this for more than 2 years and its been very good
    for me.(keeps it clear most of the time) use it every week
    massage shampoo in for5 to 10 mins then good rinsing.
    hope can work for you .
    mike26 :|
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Debra
    I was going to say have you tried NIZORAL2 like Mike my son uses it and it helps a lots ..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hello
    what go rid of my scalp p was using more natural shampoos or baby shampoo plus omega 3 fish oil +vitamin d3.Also I know you can get hand help UVB machines basically you brush your hair with it for a certain amount of time.They are quite expensive though.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Amberline from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

John
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Hi,

I have a long term inflamed scalp of unknown origin. I have some psoriasis elsewhere. I cannot use most shampoos as they irritate my scalp but have found E45 itchy shampoo very good indeed. I also need to use a conditioner as my hair is knotty and the only one I have found which doesn't flare things up any more is by Green People which is available online.

Good luck.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Hello Amberline and welcome from me, too. That was a kind, helpful first post. I hope we can be of use to you too :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Amberline and welcome to the forum.

There have been some really great suggestions from a lot of our forum friends. Often a case of trying things and seeing how they work. Coal tar based products have been the staple treatment for psoriasis for a long time now. If the patches are in fairly small areas, then you can buy Exorex Lotion, but it is expensive, so maybe ask your GP to prescribe it. It works on my OH, both scalp and body.

The dead sea minerals are really good too, you can get them in Holland and B
    t, they do quite a range of dead sea products, they are gentle and seem effective, with no nasty irritating chemicals that are often found in over the counter shampoo's. Sodium Laureth is one of the big culprits, as well as parabens.

Hope things help and improve, keep us posted and enjoy the forum, everyone is just great. xxx Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello and welcome, Amberline, it's nice to meet you. When my PsA began back in 1997 my scalp was one of my problem areas but nobody (my then GP and hairdresser) recognised it as psoriasis. They classed as seborrheafic (?) dermatitis but a fortnight in the Italian sun on honeymoon sorted it out, a classic 'help' for skin psoriaisis.

My skin is usually well-behaved despite my eventual diagnosis of PsA. I think the meds have controlled it very well (I take injected meth and humira) but, over the last few weeks, my scalp has erupted again despite all the sun. I used to take six sulphasalazine tablets per day but earlier this year I drifted away because I felt it wasn't helping anything: I feel much better in myself (which is a good thing) but my skin has worsened so it may be time for me to reintroduce it. I'll decide because I know my body better than anyone else: it's been a leaky vessel since birth so maybe this extra layer of 'tar' is required.

We all vary in what helps and hinders but I have found a commercial shampoo to be very gentle and kind, it's an oat-and-milk based concoction made by L'Oreal. We also installed a water softener in our new home and that has helped me too: we live in East Anglia which has some of the hardest water in the country. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben