Literary Figures Who Deserve a Slap.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 11. Aug 2013, 08:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've been sat here watching Pride and Prejudice (the version with Keira Knightley and Matthew McFadyen) wishing I could give Mrs Bennet a resounding slap. Another Jane Austen character to whom I would administer the same treatment is Emma's father, the self-centred, pathetic, mewling hypochondriac. This has set me thinking. Dickens created a fair few who irk, peeve and annoy, as did Eliot and Hardy. Do you have any candidates? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    [Plot spoiler for The Woodlanders]

I know Giles Winterborne is the hero of Hardy's 'The Woodlanders', but I feel he deserves not only a slap, but a good shake when he insists on sleeping outside in the rain, because it's 'not done' to be in the same house as his unworthy ex-girlfriend. Of course he gets his comeuppance for being such an idiot and dies.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ooooh, nice one Megrose. :) When far younger I was irritated by Noddy and Toad, the former for being such a goody-two-shoes and the latter for being a twerp. In my teens the cast was endless and now, well, I don't know - too many candidates perhaps? Maybe our tempers shorten as we age? I think one of the greater skillls of a writer is the ability to create a loathsome character - Obadiah Slope springs to mind. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I always detested wet women such as David Copperfield's beloved Dora. Not so much a slap as a good shake.

As for teenage years - virtually all the 'heros' of my French A-level text books. All they did was agonise.

Noddy :o You'll have to answer to Mr Plod, you know :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Uriah Heep,Scarlett Ohara.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ooooh, Scarlett O'Hara - good call, Mig, I'd forgotten about her. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Beth in Little Women. Too sodding perfect.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright