Arthritis Sufferers article from the Telegraph

Options
Penny49
Penny49 Member Posts: 26
edited 22. Aug 2013, 15:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I don't want to spread more doom and gloom for us Arthritis sufferers but my daughter sent me the link below as a point of interest.

The reason this is relevant to her is that she was diagnosed with a leg DVT in April at the age of 37 and is on treatment until October, then they are going to investigate the cause because she doesn't fit into any of the general categories for someone of her age with DVT. She was only saying to me yesterday how both her legs are stiff when she gets out of bed in the mornings and have been for sometime and was wondering if she has the start of RA. She has an apt with the gp on Wednesday to discuss it.

Take care - Penny x

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10228066/Arthritis-sufferers-have-far-greater-risk-of-blood-clots-study-finds.html

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    same story was in the Daily Express this week , they said its people with Rheumatiod Arthritis that maybe affected , there is several of us on here with RA that had it a very long time so dont worry to much
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Penny,

I hope your daughter's appointment is useful :)

As for the article, yes, it's a bit doom and gloom, isn't it? I don't have RA, but I do have PsA, another auto-immune type of arthritis causing inflammation. Unfortunately my joints are a bit swollen at the moment as I'm between care plans, but I take the view that it's possible to keep reasonably healthy regardless, just eating sensibly, not smoking, carrying on with the physio programme... the usual sort of thing!

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Penny49
    Options
    Hi Phee

Yes I hope they can put her mind at rest.

I am still un-diagnoised, prob got at least 10 weeks before I will know for sure.

Sorry to hear you are in some discomfort at the moment, like you said we need to eat sensibly and keep moving! Some days that is easier said than done though.

Take care & thank you for your message.

Penny
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    You're welcome, Penny :)

I'm sorry you're still undiagnosed, as I know how frustrating that can feel. Are you waiting for test results? Some things take ages :roll:

Hope you've had a reasonable day,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Penny49
    Options
    Hi again Phee

I had x-rays and blood tests done Thursday last week, but unfortunately I couldn't get my ultrasound done on the same day so I am waiting for them to send me an appointment, which I was told could me about 5 weeks. When I've had that done I have to let the Rheumy dept know and then they will call me back to discuss the results.

One thing which I didn't mention to the consultant last week was that I sometimes get a little out of breath, and that's when I am not exerting myself. I am not gasping for breath or anything, it just feels a bit like fast breathing. So when I go back I will mention it, the trouble was I felt a bit rushed last week so forgot to mention it.

I am retired so don't have to go to work, so I just potter around doing chores cooking meals and sitting down in between as I get tired easily. :)

Hope your weekend and today was good, it looks like the weather is going to be good this week?

Take care
    Penny x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Did anyone read the comments underneath? :o Apparently, weed not only cures RA and blood clots but actually prevents them in the first place!
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Starburst wrote:
    Did anyone read the comments underneath? :o Apparently, weed not only cures RA and blood clots but actually prevents them in the first place!

read so many cures for RA , if only one would work it would be brilliant
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Penny49 wrote:
    Hi again Phee

I had x-rays and blood tests done Thursday last week, but unfortunately I couldn't get my ultrasound done on the same day so I am waiting for them to send me an appointment, which I was told could me about 5 weeks. When I've had that done I have to let the Rheumy dept know and then they will call me back to discuss the results.

One thing which I didn't mention to the consultant last week was that I sometimes get a little out of breath, and that's when I am not exerting myself. I am not gasping for breath or anything, it just feels a bit like fast breathing. So when I go back I will mention it, the trouble was I felt a bit rushed last week so forgot to mention it.

I am retired so don't have to go to work, so I just potter around doing chores cooking meals and sitting down in between as I get tired easily. :)

Hope your weekend and today was good, it looks like the weather is going to be good this week?

Take care
    Penny x

Hi again Penny,

Yes, it can take a while for ultrasound appointments to come through. I think I waited about a month or so for one back in January.

That's a good idea, to mention the fast breathing to your consultant, or to your GP, if you're worried about it in the meantime. These days I make a list of everything to take into appointments, otherwise things just go out of my head! And it doesn't help if you’re feeling a bit rushed, of course.

Pottering around sounds great! I'm self-employed and it's a bit stressful at the moment. I'm having a bit of a flare and I've become a bit anaemic lately. I keep drifting off to sleep, then waking up in a panic, worrying about meeting my deadlines! But my mum came to see me today and we had a nice chat in the garden, so I feel a bit better for some fresh air and I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight. Off to bed earlier than usual, I think... zzz... :lol:

Hope you've had a good day,
    Phee
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Starburst wrote:

:o indeed!

I'll check this out tomorrow :)
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    *reads Telegraph comments*

Looks like folks just messin'!

Penny, was it today your daughter saw her GP? I hope it went okay :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • Penny49
    Options
    Hi Phee

That's good of you to ask :)

The doctor didn't seem concerned about her DVT leg pain, she said that it's normal to feel pain during treatment as it is breaking down the clot.

The stiffness in her legs in the morning the Dr isn't sure about but thinks it might be due to her walking differently when her leg was bad back at the beginning, which had an impact on them, also my daughter has been going to the gym which might also have affected them, she suggested that she does stretching exercises. They might even do any x-ray when the treatment has finished.

She is feeling much happier now, and is also going on holiday Friday so that will help take her mind off things.

I hope all is well with you (as much as possible that is)

Thanks for remembering :)

Best wishes
    Penny x
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Ah they just continue to spread the joy don't they!
    Interesting article esp the comment ra may cause carpal tunnel well I think that would be the least of my worries!! Burning stabbing pain in virtually every joint would've been a little more descriptive!
    I think at a 1% risk I won't be loosing sleep over it prob many more risky things out there :)
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Starburst wrote:

Ha just read them just highlights how misinformed people r with a comment like 'I have a little in my fingers but fish oil sorts it' errr I think its oa my love d'oh.
    As for weed well it 'might' stop it but hey why not fry your brain to stop ra developing or maybe ur just totally unaware u r in pain!!!! Idiots blah.

Sorry rant over ;)
  • Penny49
    Options
    Hi Lizzieuk

Very funny comments, so true! :lol:

Penny
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Penny49 wrote:
    Hi Phee

That's good of you to ask :)

The doctor didn't seem concerned about her DVT leg pain, she said that it's normal to feel pain during treatment as it is breaking down the clot.

The stiffness in her legs in the morning the Dr isn't sure about but thinks it might be due to her walking differently when her leg was bad back at the beginning, which had an impact on them, also my daughter has been going to the gym which might also have affected them, she suggested that she does stretching exercises. They might even do any x-ray when the treatment has finished.

She is feeling much happier now, and is also going on holiday Friday so that will help take her mind off things.

I hope all is well with you (as much as possible that is)

Thanks for remembering :)

Best wishes
    Penny x

Hi Penny,

Well, it's good of you to take time to provide an update!

I'm pleased the appointment with her doc has helped to put your daughter's mind at rest and I hope she has a wonderful holiday. I took time off this afternoon for a family visit, back in the garden again, clearing my head! I hope you've had a good day too :)

Best wishes,
    Phee