Joint damage

Options
lulubell69
lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
edited 19. Aug 2013, 13:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
This may seem a silly question but can you tell me how do you know if you have joint damage. I have RA and some of my fingers are permanently bent, and many joints are constantly inflamed, does this mean damage?
I'm suffering quite badly lately, waiting to start a new drug, certolizumab,depression is creeping in. Oh, and my hair is coming out in handfuls due to the methotrexate I believe and I'm soooo tired.
Oh the joys of arthritis.
Thanks
Les

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello lulubelle, I am sorry to read your post because life does sound unreasonably tough for you at the moment.

I have PsA rather than RA, I do have joint damage but it may be different in nature. My fingers are so far so good (despite hurting) but my knees and ankles are shot to bits with OA thanks to the internal damage to the synovium that the PsA has caused. Xrays will show what's what, but if you have hot and swollen joints then yes, things won't be happy inside. What dose meth are you taking? And how much FA? DD

PS I take a low daily dose of an anti depressant, this helps me not only mentally but also helps me to better cope with the pain. As for the tiredness, yes you will be because your RA is not under control at the moment - that's where the new med will come in, all being well.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    The only way to be sure is by x-ray though, if fingers are permanently bent, I'm afraid it's likely. Untreated RA - or should that be 'uncontrolled RA'? - does lead to OA though I don't think inflammation per se is the problem.

I hope your new med regime will make a big difference, Les. I don't have problems with meth but, if you are getting a lot of hair loss (We all get a few on the pillow with it) maybe you could ask your rheumatology team if increasing your folic acid would be possible.

I hope the tiredness will lesson as the new meds take hold but, as for the depression, although it would seem a rational reaction to what's going on, your GP could prescribe a short course of anti-deps to tide you over.

I see DD has nipped in before me :lol: and said similar things. Two of us can't be wrong :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Hello lulubelle , higher dose of folic acid will help your hair , some of us take 5mg six days a week but you have to talk to your consultant about it

just because your joint is swollen dont mean you have joint damage , as sticky said you need xray to tell but with your RA controlled your joints can fell a lot better , they just increased my golimumab (Simponi) to double dose so hoping that will help myself but there are other bio's to try

mild depression goes RA & long term illness so talk to your GP , most of us take something for it
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello
    I have a few bent fingers and my knees ankle are a wreck. The main thing is to take the pills exercise as much as you can and don't worry I think ( easier said then done I know).Sometimes there is a lot of swelling and hardly any damage or like me little swelling and a lot of damage.
    Good luck with the meds I hope they slow down the damage and make you feel better. Defo worth asking for an anti-depressant.
    Take care :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?